Please sign in to post.

Bandol, France

Has anyone stayed in Bandol, France? it looks like an amazing coastal town, fairly close to many other towns & villages that would be
great to visit but it seems like not many people go there. But we don't read much about it.

Any personal experiences there would be really appreciated!

Thank you! Linda

Posted by
635 posts

How fortuitous that you bring up Bandol! My husband's cousin and her husband have a second home there. (It was her parents' home.) We will be staying with them for several days in early June. It isn't mentioned here much because it has more French visitors than foreign ones. It has a lovely harbor with many pleasure boats and fishing boats, a nice beach, tons of great seafood restaurants serving that day's catch, and nearby vineyards to visit and taste the wonderful Bandol rose wines. If you are there and have a car, it is possible to do a day trip to St. Beaume or Les Beaux, or Aubagne, Cassis, La Ciotat or Toulouse, or the Calanques, or Marseille. If you like to fish or just cruise on the ocean, many boats are for hire. It is pleasant to walk along the seafront promenade and stop at a cafe for a pastis or glass of chilled rose.

We do plan on visiting a vineyard while there, and have planned an overnight trip to the Drome region to visit the tiny town of Le Pegue to see an excellent but small archeological museum. (We will do more vineyard visits on the way back, as well as seeing some probable lavender fields in bloom.) Bandol is a lovely, relaxing town, and they do have some events at various times throughout the year. Also, one type of souvenir they have there are the santons, Christmas creche characters found in elaborately large creche scenes throughout Provence in December. I treasure the one I got there many years ago.

It is a very pleasant interlude on a trip to France, and with a car you can visit many of the surrounding towns, cities and sights. Have a great trip!

Posted by
6895 posts

Bandol is indeed lovely and so is adjoining Sanary (where I go regularly). Plenty of good advice in the above post (except they meant Toulon, not Toulouse). In the immediate Bandol area, visits to the villages of La Cadière, Le Castellet (a bit touristy) and Evenos are also very worthwhile.
The one thing that is a bit tricky is that you need a car to tour the area, but parking is not easy.

Posted by
169 posts

I spent a few days in Bandol many years ago, and have fond memories of the beach there. You really do need a car if you are there, and I do not think the town of Bandol has many sights to see (other than ocean) so you will probably want to drive to surrounding areas.