Please sign in to post.

Aways out-need recommendations for stays in Val d’Isere, Tignes, Le Plagne March/April 2024

Yes, it is over a year from now, but we need to plan as this will be included in an 8 week or so trip to France. We generally like to stay in airbnb style accommodations, but IF a hotel has a reasonable 7-10 day rate, we can consider that. Only one of us will be skiing, but both of us enjoy the apres ski offerings.
We have a cousin who has a family place he stays in in that valley, but we cannot access it. We’re hoping he will join my husband to ski.
Any suggestions along any line is welcome as are food/restaurant suggestions. We have skied (when I was skiing) at Chamonix, Val d’Isere and Tignes-all in late, late 70’s! Not France, but also the Dolomites, several Austrian resorts and Zermatt, so the European ski experience is not unfamiliar to us.
Trip will be towards the end of March into April at the resort so my husband can finish his ski teaching locally before we go. Thank you all.

Posted by
6887 posts

Val d'Isère is my favorite of the 3, but also the most expensive. Accommodation price is OK in late season, but restaurants are very expensive (I do have a few food recommendations though, I'll have to go back to my notes!). I struggle to make specific accommodation recommendations, because I've been three times but never loved the accom I was in - it was either very expensive, or a bit too basic.

Tignes is a bit of an eyesore, alas.

La Plagne might be boring for the advanced skiers who you seem to be; neighboring les Arcs has better terrain in my opinion. There, I've stayed at Odalys EdenArc and found it really quite nice with a great location.

Better than either Les Arcs or La Plagne would be the 3 valleys resorts. Among those, Méribel or Courchevel (avoiding super-expensive Courchevel 1850) could fit the bill! Also Val Thorens, but the scenery is less interesting out there. I've only been once to that area and I stayed in ugly Les Menuires which I cannot recommend to overseas visitors - this type of place hurts my national pride!

Posted by
699 posts

Thank you Balso. We know the areas can be expensive so will plan for that.

Thank you for your insights on the visuals. I will want some interesting things to see and huge, concrete buildings won’t be what I have in mind! I will modify my hopes of seeing beautiful alpine villages.
Still waiting for more info from the cousin. He’s been going to Vallee de la Haute Tarantaise for years, but has skied other areas as well.

Good to have 18 months to finalize details.
Will take any other info you have.