Please sign in to post.

Avignon vs Arles

I am booked on a "My Way" tour in June and am trying to decide between spending our one full day in Avignon in that city or traveling to Arles or another nearby city. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posted by
3941 posts

I think I liked Arles better - the Pope's Palace in Avignon wasn't really much to write home about (it's VERY empty inside). Maybe it was being accosted by the 'deaf and mute' petition girls (who were neither deaf nor mute) by the palace that turned me off a little.

Arles - we really enjoyed visiting the arena and just wandering the streets (I love taking photos of old doors and there were plenty!). Arles was just a little more...interesting...smaller...I will say we were there in the morning in early Oct and it was pretty quiet! We had a car in Arles (went last year) and didn't in Avignon (went in 2012). We paired our visit to Arles with a visit to Nimes easily. And I think you can easily do it by train.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Nimes + Arles is definitely a great trip."

My thoughts exactly. I prefer Arles to Avingon, but liked Nimes even better than Arles.

But, looking at the tour, you probably won't want try to see Nimes and Arles in the same day. So, read up on these three places, and choose one. The tickets on these trains are cheap and there are no discounts for advance purchase, so you can decide that morning, if you wish. Since the trains are unreserved, you can also return early to Avignon if you go to one of the others and "finish" early.

Posted by
3696 posts

Another vote for Arles... quaint ambiance and a wonderful place to wander. I prefer it to Avignon (bigger city atmosphere) and I would not take Nimes over Arles...

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks to all for your replies!
I've done more research in response to your gracious replies.
Thinking I'll take the train to Arles and, if I finish soon enough, will then take the train to spend some time in Nimes or St. Remy. I appreciate knowing that it is not necessary to book transportation ahead of time; I like to wander and not be boxed in by a set schedule.

Posted by
3696 posts

St. Remy is beautiful but I do not believe is serviced by train... only bus.
actually, it is my favorite town to stay in while in Provence. It has a great market, shopping, restaurants.

Posted by
16 posts

Arles will get my vote every time. We had the pleasure of staying there for four nights and only had one day trip to Avignon. We never ran out of things to do and see. And plenty of great places to eat. There is a great museum which can be reached by a free shuttle bus. We caught it near the Jardins d'ete. The arena is also beautiful, and just wandering around town is easy.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi huys. Avignon's Palais des papes and the Festival d'Avignon are Amazing. For the rest, night life, food, culture, people, Arles has far better to offer. Avignon is à declining city while Arles is growing culturally and economically, capturing the talented people moving away from Avignon.

Posted by
7175 posts

Spend the morning in Avignon, before heading to Arles after lunch. Head back to Avignon after dinner - it's only 20mins by train.

TER17713
Dep 13:41 AVIGNON CENTRE (France)
Arr 14:00 ARLES (France)

TER79526
Dep 21:40 ARLES (France)
Arr 21:58 AVIGNON CENTRE (France)