Please sign in to post.

Avignon vs. Aix-en-Provence

We are taking an 8-day long boat cruise on the Rhone in the middle of our trip to Southern France coming in 3 days before (Lyon) and staying 3 days after the cruise. The last full day of the cruise we will be in Avignon and will do an Avignon walk & Pope's Palace on shore in am and the Pont du Gard Aqueduct on shore in pm. When we disembark the next morning, we are trying to decide whether to spend another day to see more of Avignon and travel to Aix the next day for 1 day/night and then on to Marseille as the last day/night before we return home. I am leaning toward disembarking and going on to Aix that day and spending 2 days in the Aix-en-Provence area rather than doing all 1 day trips?

Posted by
121 posts

I vote for going directly to Aix, it’s a lovely town. You already will have seen the highlights of Avignon.

Posted by
10516 posts

Aix is only 20 minutes from Marseille, so I would stay in Aix the whole time and day trip to Marseille, unless you are moving to the airport for an early morning flight.

Posted by
21 posts

Aix is a lovely town and you will have seen the highlights of Avignon, lovely town also. I would also recommend staying 2 nights in Aix and a day trip to Marseilles. Easily done unless you are leaving very early from Marseilles.