Please sign in to post.

Avignon to Pont du Gard by public transport

We had planned to take the A-15 bus from Avignon to Pont du Gard in mid-May, but when I looked at the online schedule, it says there are "disruptions" on the line from March through December. Is there another way to get there by public transport or mini-tour bus?

Thanks,
Karen

Posted by
7419 posts

Google "Pont du Gard" and "minivan", and you'll see many options that you could reserve. We took a minivan tour of the Luberon villages from Avignon. We looked over the options at the TI located as you walk into town from the train at Avignon. They picked us up from our hotel - easy travel.

We took the bus to Pont du Gard, but I see there's options to combine that stop with the Luberon villages in some of the mini-van tours.

We also took a train over to Nimes one day and really enjoyed walking to all of these Roman buildings & park - Maison Carrée, Arenes de Nimes and the Temple of Diana near the park.

Posted by
548 posts

I have done it both ways. One time, with the help of a French national, I was able to take buses to Pont du Gard - and it seemed to take two bus rides each way and about an hour or more each way. So basically its your whole day. Also there is not city near PDG so plan on eating elsewhere.

Driving though was very fast. Maybe 20 minutes. I found a little roadside restaurant and market about a mile away too. In the same day we were able to hit Uzes, Nimes, Arles, Les Baux, and still be back in Avignon before sundown.

The only bad thing was that we did not have a car reserved so it cost about $100 for the day. But if you reserve it in advance it might be $40-50.