Please sign in to post.

Avignon Hotel Recommendation

Hello all,

I'm looking for Avignon hotel recommendations. I've done days and days of research on travel forums and hotel booking sites and I just can't make a decision. Honestly, all but the most expensive places seem a bit underwhelming with enough recent unpleasant reviews to concern me. I need help from those who have actually been there (this is our first visit to Provence).

We will be in Avignon the last week in April, 2022 without a car. We will use public transportation/day tours to visit the surrounding towns and villages. So far, I'm thinking we'd prefer to be in the city center and would like to keep the cost below 250 euros, if possible.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

Posted by
6895 posts

250€ per night? That's very generous for Avignon in April! For half the price, Hotel de l'Horloge should do the trick. It is not perfect, but it is nice enough and the location is excellent.

Posted by
33 posts

Yes, sorry, I did mean 250 euros/night.
Thanks, balso, I have the hotel de L'Horloge on my short list but got concerned after reading a number of not so promising reviews. I appreciate your recommendation.

Posted by
41 posts

Hotel d L’Horloge
We stayed here several years ago. Great location in center of Avignon. We had room with private terrace on top floor. One of our favorite memories is enjoying local wine, bread and cheese on our terrace overlooking the Papal Palace.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you @marymcgol1.

With two recommendations here, I'm feeling more sure the Hotel de L'Horloge would be a decent choice.

Posted by
3 posts

I also stayed there a couple of years ago. Great location, easy walk from the train station. Our initial room was 'tight' but because of an issue with the door to our room we were upgraded and 'comped' breakfast.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you for sharing your experience @graniab.

The room size is one of my concerns............there are a lot of reviews of this hotel commenting on how very tight the rooms were for many. Since we will be staying for a bit over a week I'd like to try for as much comfort as possible. Even though we spend most of our time out and about it's nice to have some space in the room or terrace to unwind.