Please sign in to post.

Avignon

We will be travelling by car from Lyon, and staying the night in Aigueze, which is about 25 miles to the northwest. We would like to make a visit to Avignon and see the Papal Palace. Is there somewhere we can park (I have noted on the Michelin green guide that one should park outside the ramparts, but there is no explicit direction on where to park)? Will it be hard to find a place to park during the middle of the day on April 27, 2017? We can walk, but we are 65 and 73 respectively, so we do not want to make an all-day hike out of it. Also, can someone recommend a restaurant for lunch not too far from the Papal Palace - nothing fancy, just want some decent French food. Thanks. Peter

Posted by
16893 posts

I'm sure that it won't be hard to find a sport. After you follow signs toward centre ville, parking lots/garages are also well signed. Rick's intro to arrival mentions a couple of specific lots, or you can also search Google Maps for "parking near Avignon." When I drove in from Nimes via the N100, which you probably will also, I stopped at the paid garage Parking des Allées de l'Oulle. Parking across the bridge at Parking de l'Ile Piot is free, with shuttle van.

Posted by
2261 posts

If you can get parked and find a shuttle that would be great, per Laura's post. We liked the indoor food market in Avignon, which is just under a half mile from the Palais des Popes, Google Maps shows it at about ten minutes walk-assuming you don't stop and look at anything ;-). We found all sorts of good things to eat there, opens early but closes up midday after lunch as I recall. There's a great oyster booth in one corner, meats, cheeses, breads, etc. We got small bits from several places and had a great time.
There is the little tourist train, someone here may know the route, or you can likely call the very good TI center in Avignon for info.

Marche les Halles d'Avignon:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Palais+des+Papes,+Avignon,+France/March%C3%A9+les+Halles+d'Avignon,+18+Place+Pie,+84000+Avignon,+France/@43.9481849,4.80493,15.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x12b5eb86e462d6b7:0xbad735023aa21aa8!2m2!1d4.8074381!2d43.9509183!1m5!1m1!1s0x12b5eb87f12bc2b5:0xab245fa1f8797383!2m2!1d4.8102683!2d43.9477362!3e2

Posted by
5202 posts

I can't help you with parking since we didn't have a car, but we did enjoy a couple of delicious French meals at Chez Lulu and L'Epicerie.

We ate dinner at both of these places, so make sure you check to see if they are open for lunch.

If you have a sweet tooth, make sure you try the best ice cream at Regal Glace.

We ate ice cream every day while in Avignon ;-)

Enjoy your trip!