Please sign in to post.

Auvers-sur-Oise

I am a big Van Gogh fan and am contemplating a day trip to Auvers-sur-Oise during my Paris trip in September. I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has been there. Do you feel it was worth the trip? Would you recommend it as a nice day trip?
I have 11 days total in Paris and I am doing Rick's Best of Paris tour as part of this trip, so I will hit all of the usual Paris highlights. Thanks for any information anyone has!

Rosemary

Posted by
8072 posts

We did this as a day trip from Paris and enjoyed it thoroughly and wish we had had a few more hours; our train back was at 6 and we still had a few things to explore. The Van Gogh 'trail' is clearly marked; the church he painted and the field where he shot himself and the cemetery where he is buried with his brother are all quite touching. Great day trip from Paris.

Posted by
185 posts

Thank you for your responses! It was really nice to read a first hand account of someone's visit to the city, and to hear that it was overall quite enjoyable. I will definitely make this one of my day trips while I am in Paris.

Posted by
24 posts

This is THE best Paris day trip for any fan of Van Gogh. I went there a few years ago with friends who had come to stay with me while I was spending a few months in Paris. It is a lovely walkable town and easy to find many of the sites of the artist's last paintings. A highlight of our day was having a meal at Auberge Ravoux, the restaurant below Van Gogh's room. All the food served is authentic to the time he spent there and rivals any meal we had in Paris.

Posted by
185 posts

Thanks for the lunch recommendation, drolle. I had a look at the menu online and it looks great! I will definitely try to get in there for lunch while I am visiting the area. I'm quite excited about the day trip to Auvers-sur-Oise after hearing how much you all enjoyed it.