Please sign in to post.

Auvers-sur-Oise?

We are looking for a nice spot to conclude our trip in May, under an hour’s drive to CdG. Is Auvers-sur-Oise as charming as it sounds? Any suggestions for a good hotel? Perhaps a different village to explore the area? We are open to suggestions. We have a car

Posted by
8085 posts

We did it as a day trip from Paris. We loved it -- and we are interested in Van Gogh and so enjoyed visiting his grave, the field where he was shot (or shot himself depending on the story you believe) and many of the sites where he lived and painted. There are more charming villages but it is an interesting place.

A very charming medieval town near CDG is Senlis. (note that all tourist oriented towns tend to be shut down on Mondays)https://janettravels.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/moyen-age-visit-to-senlis/

Posted by
2974 posts

I too have been to Auvers-sur-Oise and liked it. There’s also Versailles that’s closer to Paris than Auvers-sur-Oise.

Posted by
39 posts

Auvers-sur-Oise is lovely, especially in springtime. It's fun to walk around and see the places Vincent Van Gogh (and others) painted. They're well marked. It is though very small with not a whole lot of food and lodging options. Plus, sometimes a big bus will come and drop off a large tour group, but the only stay an hour or so.

When I was there, I wished I had a car. The excellent tour office has an enticing "on the trail of artists" guide to the whole region. Many 19th century painters (especially impressionists) lived there. You might search for a nice rural B&B.

I've always wanted to visit Senlis, but couldn't get there easily without a car. It's near Chantilly which itself is worth a visit, for the castle, horse stables, forest, etc.

Another idea one hour from the CdG airport is Compiegne. It's a big town/small city that I found surprisingly pleasant. It's home to one of the royal castles which is beautiful and uncrowded. It was primarily used by Napoleon III (mid-1800s) to host important people and promote French luxury products. There's also the site where the armistices were signed in 1918 and 1940.