Please sign in to post.

Auto Rental

I am renting a car from Sixt for a 60 day joourney from France to Italy. Any thoughts on this agency.? Also, I have been unable to find a auto leasing company starting in Reims and returning in Florence. Your thoughts.

Posted by
6788 posts

Hope you have some deep pockets. Are you sure you really need a car for all that time, and you need to pick it up in one country and then drop it off in a different one? In a region that's very well served by rail (convenient, efficient, comfortable and inexpensive), yours is going to be a very, very expensive joourney...

Posted by
12172 posts

If I were going that long, I'd look at a lease option. Try Auto Europe, I believe they can help you with a lease. As I recall I booked online, looked at both Peugeot and Renault's car offerings, then booked with Renault (because they had the car that worked best). I picked up in Amsterdam and dropped in Rome for a relatively small pick up/drop off charge. There wasn't be a charge for picking up anywhere in France. Things may have changed with the program since then.

Posted by
2555 posts

Have you tried Autoeurope.? One of the many advantages of Autoeurope is that in the event of a problem, they have toll free lines and 24/7 service to help. Their pricing is also very competitive.

Sixt is a well-known German car rental company.

There can be very heavy fees for leaving a car in a country other than that of pickup. This can double the price of your lease.

Posted by
3179 posts

I also suggest checking with AutoEurope. But check on leasing rates, not rental rates. They are substantially different. You might want to speak with one of their customer reps on their toll free number. They are knowledgeable and very helpful.

Posted by
2916 posts

I too would suggest looking at AutoEurope. Their web site has both the Peugot and Citroen lease options. But you'll need to be more flexible with your pickup and dropoff locations. The only 2 in Italy are the Rome and Milan airports. There are more options for picking up in France.

Posted by
44 posts

I've used Sixt twice, though only for short-term rentals, and found them to be a good company. The local agencies I've looked at for them tend to get higher ratings, with fewer horror stories, than more recognizable budget agencies nearby. I'm aware that the local staff make all the difference, but my experience with them in multiple regions has been positive.

Posted by
10260 posts

As others have mentioned, check AutoEurope for leasing information. The website will tell you what cities you can pick up and drop off in. Reims is too small. The closest city to pick up would be Paris. There are 15 locations in France, if one of the others would work better for you. In Italy you would have to drop off in Milan or Rome. There would be an extra charge to drop it in Italy, but I'd guess it's a lot less than it would be if the car was a rental as opposed to a lease.

Posted by
15602 posts

For a long-term lease, I'd think it would be worthwhile to take the hour-long train into Paris to get the car and another similar train ride if one has to return the car in Rome, for example.

Posted by
106 posts

My Sixt rental is $3000.00 for 65 days. The other agencis do not fit into my agenda. The autoeurope dealer is $700.00 less but I would have to go way out of my way to pick it up and drop it off. Also, the train system will not allow me to go to out-of-the-way backroads in France, the Dolomites and lower Tuscany. Thank you all for your advice.

Posted by
739 posts

I have rented from Sixt three times
Twice in France and once in Germany. And they were very easy to work with.
My last trip I had a BMW 3 series rented but ended up with a bigger Audi of some type that was very nice. I drove it from Munich into Austria and then into Switzerland. Unfortunately it had a slow leak from the get go in one tire and I had to swap it out in Switzerland. They had a bit of an issue finding a car I could take back into Germany for some reason (it was a small local place not in a big city) but in 15 minutes I was on my way in a big BMW X5. And the lady behind the counter was apologizing the whole time.
So I can’t say enough nice things about them.
I would use them in this years trip but they don’t seam to have a place in York for me to drop off my car.

Posted by
9693 posts

My husband always rents from Sixt in both France and Italy and has always been happy.

Posted by
44 posts

I have rented from Sixt many times in Europe and there service and offices have always been top notch. This time I am leasing and insurance is built into the price. The peace of mind of having FULL insurance coverage with zero deductible (plus anyone can drive as long as I am in the car) was too tempting as I am driving southern France for 32 days.