Please sign in to post.

ATM at Charles de Gaulle

Hello,

Does any one knows what is the maximum withdrawal limit in Charles de Gaulle ?, I just don't want the be withdrawing money all the time.

I'll really appreciate your help.

Posted by
1540 posts

I believe that the limit is set by your financial institution.
Most folks I have talked to say $300 per transaction.
You could also get your Euros before you leave the US.....order them from your bank, or go to a foreign exchange service.
Happy Travels

Posted by
276 posts

My last two trips I withdrew $800. This way the pain of the exchange rate happened only once.

Posted by
22 posts

@highlanderct,

Did the atm allow you to withdrawal the 800 euros ?

Posted by
8889 posts

There are two limits. One set by your bank, which will of course be in your home currency, and not a round amount of Euros; and one set by the machine owner in Euros. I have never hit a limit on Euros in France, I guess it is at least €300, possibly more.
If the machine says "no", just keep trying again reducing the amount until it says "yes".

Posted by
3518 posts

Ask your bank what the limit is on your account per transaction and per 24 hours. If it is a number you feel is too low, ask your bank to raise it. Most will do so even if it is only for the duration of your trip. This is the limit most travelers hit.

The ATM owner might also have a maximum per transaction amount that can be gotten. If you ask for one amount and the ATM denies, try asking for a smaller amount.

ATMs also have a physical limit on the number of bills that can be dispensed per transaction. This means if the machine has €50 or €100 bills in it you can get a larger total per withdrawal than if it only has €20s in it. That limit is 15 bills for most machines and as long as the total amount doesn't exceed the cash total set by the owner and your daily limit, you could get up to €1500 per transaction.

Posted by
2466 posts

Ask your US bank for a temporary withdrawal that will suit your needs.
There are lots of banks - without going to CDG.
If, on the other hand, you happen to have two or more debit cards, you can withdraw as much as you want, pending your bank's approval.

Posted by
4517 posts

My banks sets $550 so whatever that is in Euros, used to be over 500 eight months ago.

I thought only Italian banks set 250 euro limits.

Posted by
4044 posts

Some ATM limits can be set by the operating bank. In my occasional experience HSB, a large international bank, had a lower limit than my home bank sets on my account. HSB operates, or did have, some machines at CdG.

Posted by
2111 posts

How long will you be in France? Have you been to Europe before?

When we went to Paris in October, we knew there would be two major cash outlays - one for our air B&B and one for an evening tour in a Citroen 2CV. We got euros before we left for the trip, including 200 euros above and beyond.

That was more than enough. Almost every other transaction was be credit card. I doubt we spent more than 20-30 euros in cash each day.