Please sign in to post.

Ascension 2023 weekend in France - crowds in Strasbourg and/or Reims?

We are planning a trip next May including some time in France. The most efficient schedule would put us in Strasbourg and/or Reims right around Ascension, May 18. From what I've read, many people make it a four-day weekend. We would make hotel and car rental reservation in advance in any case. But should we expect those areas to be extra crowded?

Posted by
6913 posts

They will certainly be busy, especially Strasbourg (since Ascension is also a holiday in parts of neighboring Germany), but not to a point where I'd reschedule a trip!

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you, balso. We weren't thinking of rescheduling but rearranging the order of our destinations. Reading more, it looks like a big holiday in nearly every region we are planning to visit. I guess we'll just make our reservations as early as possible and hope for the best. Can't really blame other people for wanting to do the same thing we want to do. haha

Posted by
6913 posts

Exactly: any region of touristic interest will be busy, including Paris.
That's not necessarily a bad thing: most tourists will be domestic tourists, and when I go abroad, I really enjoy the vibe of locals going on vacation.