I am landing in Paris alone, and meeting some Friends in Belgium 3 days later (end of October). I am somewhat embarrassed to say, I have visited Paris before and really didn't care much for it. I guess the thousands of tourists and the big city feel turned me off.
Anyway, I thought about heading to another near by destination the same day I arrive. I am considering Normandy, Nantes and Lyon, but I would love some other suggestions.
What I am looking for :
- Places accessible by train/public transportation
- Within 2 hours or so from Paris
- The least amount of tourists possible, to the level of attractions, but still good for people watching. My french is not very good but I would love to embarrass myself trying to carry deep conversations in French with strangers.
- Preferably small towns ( I loved St Jean de Luz, for example)
- I am not too interested in attractions like the WWII museums, but would enjoy if the town meets most of the above criteria.
Am I asking too much? :)
Thanks for your kindness and for not hating me for not liking Paris as much as so many travelers do. I am an odd duck.