Please sign in to post.

Arrival in Paris

hello
i am flying in alone to CDG airport from the States around the end of August to connect with my sister and niece who will already be there
best way to get from airport to the city
i am thinking UBER (?)
first time flying alone internationally

Posted by
2261 posts

No. Get an Official Paris Taxi at the Taxi rank at CDG. Do not accept rides from anyone else on the way to the Official Taxi Rank. Official is not a brand name, it just means it's regulated by the City....Generally 50/55 Euro to central Paris, fixed rate depending on Left Bank-Right Bank. Have a printout of the precise address including postal code to give to the driver, if you want to pay by credit card, inquire first. Tip not generally expected.

Posted by
2466 posts

No need to post twice 😊
If you use the Uber app, you will have to make arrangements to meet your chauffeur. In addition, Uber cannot use the dedicated taxi lanes which allow Parisian taxis to go faster than Uber can.

Flat rates to and from the airport are in effect, depending on your address, 50 or 55 €. There are no luggage fees.
Good idea to print out your destination so there won't be any confusion.
Just follow the overhead signs to the taxi stand and wait your turn.

Posted by
6 posts

We have taken the RER into town and we have also hired a private van.

I would hire a private van or car, the driver stands outside with a sign where everyone is funneling out onto the concourse. He takes you out to the car and loads your luggage. It was like $50 one way. We had my parents with us and it was a breeze. When it is just my wife and I.. Taking the train in is easy too. The van is just way less stressful, you get dropped off and picked up at your doorstep wherever you are staying.

I have had to deal with a bad taxi driver in his mercedes sedan when we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel before we departed the next morning. The taxi drivers are scamming little scumbags who also try to shake you down for a hefty tip when they drop you off. That was the first time I actually wanted to get into it with a taxi driver for being dishonest. my wife said drop it and that is the only reason I didn't have him by his throat after he grabbed money out of my hand for his tip.

Posted by
2261 posts

To wit: ^ ^ ^ the value of using official taxi's. Sheesh.

Posted by
13966 posts

I am in the get in the official taxi line and take a taxi to your hotel camp. I travel solo, am tired after an overnight flight and just want to get there. When you exit out of the international area in to the terminal there will often be touts there asking if you want a ride. If you'll look for the signage, you'll see a Taxi sign pointing to the right, then outside. Follow that and get in to line - which moves quickly.

I have NEVER been scammed by an official taxi. Last April the traffic was terrible getting from CDG in to town. I had stayed at the hotel several times before, more or less know the route and knew the driver was not taking me out of the way. We were in traffic so long the meter flipped over from the set 55E fare to my hotel. I wondered how that would be handled or if the 55E only covered the left bank if you got there in a certain amount of time. At the hotel the meter showed 62E. The driver said, in English, "that is not the correct fare". It is 55Euro. Yes, I gave him a tip.

And yes, I print out my hotel's name and address and tape it to a 3x5 index card.

Posted by
475 posts

Agree with recommendation for official taxi and have never had a problem either.

Posted by
10207 posts

Agree with using the official taxis from the taxi line and have never had a problem either in the many decades I've used taxis in Paris.

Posted by
8063 posts

Print the hotel address on a card including postal zone -- write 55 or 50 Euro on the same card so the cabbie knows you know. The fixed fare should show on the meter; if the meter is running point this out. We have taken cabs for years and never been hosed, but recently we had a driver who turned on the meter till we let him know that we knew the trip was 55E to our destination. If we had written the number on the address card, he would not have done this.

Posted by
94 posts

We read the suggestions about taking an official taxi when we arrived in Paris so I was armed with that info (we came on the train from Belgium). However, when we arrived, there was so much commotion, people coming up to us trying to get us to ride with them (the unofficial folks). At one point, we thought someone was trying to point us to the correct "official" taxi line, but it turned out he was just another random driver trying to get us to his car. What we finally learned was just look for the line. That's where the official taxis are. If ya see a line for taxis, that is where you want to be. Not nearly as hard as we were making it:)

Posted by
2466 posts

Just remember that legitimate taxi drivers always remain in their taxi.

And for your departure, call or go online and use G7Taxis - in English.
Call the night before, be waiting outside about 10 minutes before pickup time.
There is a 7€ reservation charge that will be added to the flat rate.
The dispatcher will send an SMS describing the colour and make of the taxi that will pick you up. You will need to know which terminal to go to.
I don't see the value in having your name on a card, if this will cost you extra.

Posted by
7 posts

thx for the info
don't understand your comment about having a name on a card would cost me extra

Posted by
8293 posts

OP "the name on the card" was in reference to being met by a driver who waits for you in the Arrivals Hall with your name on a large card.

Posted by
12172 posts

Just for a take from a budget traveler.

I travel solo, pack very light and take the RER and metro into town. When I'm picking lodging, proximity to a metro station is part of what I look at. I like to be able to walk places, but I also like being able to get to/from a metro station quickly when arriving/leaving the city or going across town. Depending on where you're going and time of day (traffic), the RER/metro combo might get you there faster.

The cost of RER is 10 euro and the metro is 1,70 (1,40 if you buy a carnet). As someone who rarely splurges, the difference between taking a taxi is roughly a day's meals or a night's lodging for most of my stops (for my two stops in Paris next trip, I'm staying two nights at an Ibis for $100 a night and three nights in a small Airbnb studio for about 50 euro per night, the rest of the trip is under 50 euro a night). I don't really pinch pennies when I travel but I generally try to save money where I can so I can spend it where I want.

Posted by
7 posts

Brad
thx for the tips
as a gal arriving alone
and the fact that my sister will be setting up lodging arrangements beforehand and will be there a few days before me
i think i will stick to the official taxi this time around
i am all over pinching pennies etc and have traveled for years with my husband
unfortunately at this time i also use a cane and have some balance issues and other health issues that come and go as a result of surgery
several years ago
so might be too challenging to deal with my luggage ,cane and myself on the metro for this trip
but i have done that in the past in Paris with my husband

Posted by
2466 posts

Very smart idea to take a taxi, then.
Not everyone can handle mass transportation, especially with luggage.