Please sign in to post.

arles to marseille airport

hello all,
i will need to travel from arles to mrs on the 10th of June to catch a flight at 10:05 am. i am looking at travel options and getting confusing information from various websites. those include rome2rio. google maps, 'sncf connect' and 'sncf voyageures'. on rome2 rio the only option offered is a taxi (too far and expensive for me). google maps indicate that trains are available from 6 in the morning that go to the vitrolles train station (this would be my preferred option). however, the 'sncf connect' site indicates that the earliest train going on this day is at 11:25 (too late for me) but the 'sncf voyageures' site says there is a train at 7:10 am. i know I am almost 3 months out and correct schedules may not be available yet. i suppose I could go to Marseille the day before and stay there for the night. does anyone have insights into these discrepancies? any suggestions/tips would be most welcome!

Posted by
671 posts

alomaker,
With a 10:05 a.m. flight, go to Marseille the day before and stay the night there. Even better, if there is an airport hotel, stay there. If you have an international flight beginning at MRS, you will need to be there two hours before (minimum). If it is an internal flight, say to Orly, you can relax a little as there will be more flights later, but if this is to connect to an international flight from CDG, I wouldn't risk missing my `10:05 flight.

Posted by
20153 posts

When I look at the SNCF site, I see trains at 6:38, 7:10, 7:45, all taking about 45 minutes.
SNCF runs the trains, so I would not waste time with google maps or Rome2Rio.

Posted by
340 posts

thank you for your quick replies!

@judy: my flight is to vienna, so hopefully no immigration check. previous flights especially within the shengen area and from smaller airports were trouble-free and quick. i hate to cut short my stay in arles but I will keep your advice in mind.

@sam: could you send me the link to sncf you used? the two I listed disagree as to scheduled departures. i looked up trainline (a lifesaver last year in spain) and it indicates availability as you mentioned.

Posted by
20153 posts

https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/tgv
The site seems to adjust times, so if you put in 6 am, it changes it to French time zone hours later, making you initially think that is the first train. Just click on earlier departures until you get to the times you want.

Posted by
10208 posts

Attention that you search for the trains to Vitrolles Airport in the SNCFConnect destination box, (aéroport de Vitrolles).

Don't search for Marseille or you will end up in the city of Marseille and have to find transportation to Vitrolles, backtracking.

Both Arles and the airport are west of the city. It's only a 39 minute ride.
You have trains at 6:12, 6:38, 7:10.

If you ever ran into an emergency, you could take a taxi. It's really very local to Arles.