Please sign in to post.

Arc de Triomphe

I see in the RS 2016 France Guide that the Arc is free on the first Sunday beginning in October. I can see nothing on the monument's website regarding free Sundays. On the Paris Museum Pass website it appears to begin on November 1 but that date is typed differently than all the others in the information. I know things can change after publication, but want to be sure so I can decide on a 2 day pass vs a 4 day. Anyone have definitive info?

Posted by
23268 posts

Unfortunately the free day is a sucker play. While it sounds great I avoid them like the plague. The problem is that they are free for tourist and the locals and there are a few million more locals than tourists. Every free day I have seen is absolutely flooded by the locals. How impolite of them to take away a free day from the tourists. So don't plan on seeing a lot on a free day.

Posted by
446 posts

Thanks. Yes I am planning to avoid the places I want to visit on free Sunday. I will be able to see what I want to on a 2 day museum pass with the possible exception of the Arc. Evidently the Champs Elysees has gone pedestrian only on the first Sunday of the month. Just thought it would be nice to combine with free day at the Arc and take my chances, but it appears I will be a month early.

Posted by
16893 posts

Trust David's link. I understand that they make these decisions in September for the coming year, which doesn't coincide well with guidebook publication schedules.

Posted by
3161 posts

Hey, Frank. It's the locals who pay taxes to support the remarkable museums, monuments and patrimony throughout France. I think that they have every right to "flood" what they own. As a tourist and a guest, I do not mind paying an entry fee that helps support them. After paying for an airline ticket, hotels, ground transportation and food, the entry fees are a minimal part of my trip expense. I don't think it's a "sucker play" or that the residents are being impolite.

Posted by
7175 posts

Some perspective ...
2 day Paris Museum Pass is 48€
4 day Paris Museum Pass is 62€
So for an extra 7€ (US$8) per day you can give yourself the complete flexibility of a 4 day pass.

Posted by
446 posts

Thanks David. Have come to that conclusion myself. For 2 extra days it's money well spent and not much of it.

Posted by
15810 posts

The museum pass is GREAT: one of the very few tourist passes I'd recommend to anyone depending on interests and circumstances. We more than broke even on ours as 3 visits (2 stop-bys during night openings) to the Louvre in one week ALONE without tickets was a very nice plus! Well worth the $$.

The free Sunday issue aside, you may also visit the Arc during the day and again some evening if in the area as there's no limit to how many times you can do the attractions the pass covers.

Posted by
27 posts

Frank makes a very good point. Periodically the Chicago museums are free and on those days my adult children (who live in Chicago) go with their children and by 9:00 am the entrance lines are crazy long.

Posted by
2466 posts

The "no-car zone Sundays" on the Champs-Elysees has been cancelled due to security reasons. No announcement has been made as to whether or not it will resume in the future.