Please sign in to post.

Apartment Rental Paris

I read an earlier post about Vacation Rentals in Paris a month ago and was wondering if anyone has any updates. We found a lovely apartment we would like to rent and wondered what experiences anyone has had in the last year with them. The apartment we want does not have a 13 digit registration # and we were told by them that the owner doesn't have one but that it had never been a problem in the past. My gut instinct is to say no, although it is the perfect place. Advice from recent renters? Do you experience this?

Posted by
2544 posts

Having and displaying a 13 digit registration number for a Paris apartment only suggests that the rental is legal. Not having the required number removes any doubt.

Absent numbers indicate that either the owner cannot legally obtain one (he is not the primary resident) or he is not declaring rental revenues to local tax authorities. Ultimately, it's your call.

Posted by
6497 posts

Based on past threads on this subject, the risk is that you could lose your accommodation, and maybe also your deposit, because the apartment owner gets caught. The owner would be subject to a big fine but you wouldn't. I googled "Vacation Rentals in Paris" and didn't come up with a website for an organization with that name (though plenty of entries under that topic). "The owner doesn't have one but it had never been a problem in the past" is a pretty weak assurance, isn't it?

Posted by
9420 posts

VIP has been highly recommended on this forum for over 10 yrs. I’ve never read anything negative about them here, only glowing. Of course, still up to you if you want to rent this particular apt.
The advantage of VIP is that it’s an American co., you can pay by cc, and they mail you the key ahead of time - no having to coordinate, and possibly wait, to meet someone there.
I’ve rented a few apts in Paris and dealing with a French co., or manager, can be challenging. I’ve also had to wait hours on two occasions to meet someone at apt (they were late), not fun when we’ve been up for 24+ hrs flying from SF.
VIP does have registered apts, maybe choose another one?