Please sign in to post.

Apartment in Paris

Hello
I am looking to rent an apartment in Paris (most are dreadfully expensive) 2 things I must have are air conditioning and a washer.. We will be coming from a cruise with a lot of dirty clothe and 10 more days in Europe (with 2 kids also) Please let me know what neighboring cities I can do that are still close enough to the city but reasonably priced.

Thank you
Martha

Posted by
776 posts

Most apartments in or near Paris do not have AC. For AC you should expect to pay a premium price unless you use the services of various apartment hotels that have AC.. Citadines, Adagio are a couple. Also many apartments in Paris and the suburbs are illegal rentals meaning that if the owners are caught by the city you could lose out on a place to stay. To protect yourself from that, when renting in Paris, you should look for a 13 digit registration number starting with 75. What is your idea of reasonably priced?

Posted by
168 posts

I rented for 6 nights at Apartments Du Louvre - Le Marais come to find out there is no AC and its 1989.00 American dollars.. Seems like a lot for not even having AC. I rented a week in Barcelona at a nicer bigger place and it was 1080.00 same place booking.com... Im thinking I should do a hotel.. Do the hotels have ac?

Posted by
3655 posts

“Do the hotels have ac?” Some do and some do not.
What is your budget? And what do you mean by the same place? Obviously, it’s not the same place. One is in Paris and one is in Barcelona and Paris is more expensive than Barcelona. Just because you found both hotels on booking.com means nothing for pricing.

Posted by
10177 posts

Barcelona is much less expensive than Paris. I was just looking for an apartment in June and I didn't see much in the way of AC. Actually for my time period I didn't see much available, period. I did find some hotels with AC, but you won't be able to do laundry unless you go to a laundromat. That's always a possibility. Be aware that hotels are different there. With 4 people you will have to have a quad room. They aren't that plentiful. What month are you traveling in?

Posted by
168 posts

We are travelling from Sept 19 to Oct 13 and doing a cruise from Sept 29 to Oct 5th (Italy)
We have decided to stay only 2 days in Paris.. I am planning on picking another great place either in Spain or Italy.. Paris seems a little strange when it comes to hotels and apartments. I travel with my son who is autistic and comfort is important. He is very picky about his clothing and where he sleeps so being in such tight spaces will be a challenge.. Im thinking maybe Pamplona.. Or even better somewhere close to Barcelona (because we depart from there home) would be great.. We are doing a day in Girona also while we spend a week in Barcelona... (thats at the beginning of our trip)

Posted by
10177 posts

I don't know that I would go out of my way for Paris for only 2 nights. Paris is my favorite city, so I don't say that lightly. I wouldn't let the lack of AC be a deal breaker myself. Especially that time of year. While I was recently searching for an apartment I saw many listings that had fans.

Posted by
6428 posts

You wouldn't need AC in Paris in October. The last apartment we rented there turned the heat on October 15 and it sure was welcome.

I agree that it may not be worth spending just a couple of days in Paris if it's otherwise out of your way. But you might consider Citadines or another chain apart'hotel like another poster suggested. Lacking in charm but maybe more affordable and comfortable, with modern conveniences like washer/dryer and good climate control.

Posted by
5697 posts

Also, keep in mind that a "washer" does not automatically mean "and dryer" so with a cruise worth of dirty clothes you might be far better off finding a laundromat where you can use multiple machines to get the job done all at once.

Posted by
10177 posts

Laura B has a good point. You could get it all over with at once rather than stretch it out. Especially if your time is limited.

Posted by
168 posts

Thinking Paris to Madrid and Madrid to Barcelona to end our journey...

Posted by
168 posts

You do have a very good point.. I Forget that their washers are different.. When we went the first time to Spain it took me a while to get use to them!. The more I read and research the more confused I get. Maybe its not such a good idea to go to Paris.. After we depart the ship in Genoa maybe we should head to Venice/Milan or Florence... That would make our journey much easier.. I was thinking maybe we should do Paris once our kids are older.. or we can someday go alone (wishful sigh)

Posted by
1025 posts

Lots of laundromats in both Paris AND Barcelona, and the dryers really make the difference. I agree with nixing Paris if all you have is 2 days.

Edited to add that I have used laundromats in both Venice and Florence. Nice facilities and good price.

Posted by
94 posts

If you do decide to go to Paris, we rented a flat for one week from http://parisvacationapartments.com/. The one we stayed in was fantastic. Very well appointed. Washer & dryer. A/C. Wonderful location on Ile Saint-Louis and it was surprisingly very quiet at night. I believe all their flats are similarly equipped. But, I do believe you have to stay for one week to rent from them.

Posted by
168 posts

Now if I can only contact the air company to add the return flight from Genoa to Barcelona! There's no email and last year when I called Europe I spent over 65.00 on the phone call. U might just buy an ip phone!

Posted by
10177 posts

I don't know who your cell phone carrier is, but you might check with them to see how much a call would be. Last week I called my aunt in Germany on my T-Mobile phone. We spoke for 11 minutes and it was a $39 charge. I then found out that I could have paid $10 to have .20 per minute calls to Germany for a month. Of course you can choose whatever country you want. I would guess that all major carriers have similar plans.

Posted by
2466 posts

Lots of laundromats if you use Google Maps. Look for "laverie self-service". There's one in every neighborhood. Cheap, and you you use their soap, because Paris' water is hard.
They are efficient - and they dry your clothes.

I would not bother with Paris, but go on to Barcelona.

Posted by
168 posts

I did check with my carrier AT& T and added the Global for reduce pricing in minutes. Vueling is now closed so I will try tomorrow to add the return flight to Barcelona. Hopefully it can be done. TY all for the tips!