Please sign in to post.

Antibes or Nice?

My travel partner and I are planning a trip to the French Riviera next fall. We have already gone to France twice, to Toulouse, Aix, Marseilles, Montpelier, Avignon, and other smaller towns in these areas. We were also in Paris several years ago. We stay in one or two areas and day trip to the outlying areas of interest. We would like to do the same next trip, so I wonder if you can offer any advice as to whether Nice or Antibes is the better base camp. Some of the little Italian towns farther east are also very appealing—one idea is to stay in Nice 4 or 5 days and then move to Italy—perhaps Portofino?

We’re both women in our 70s, fit, and adaptable, friends since high school. Not luxury travelers—we usually eat from the markets, but we love comfy beds and local cuisines.

Any advice for us? Thanks!

Posted by
3151 posts

If you’re getting around by public transportation most likely Nice will be the place to sleep not Antibes. Here is the link for FRs national rail website so you can decipher how convenient it is to travel from Antibes and Nice to your desired destinations: https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/.

Posted by
88 posts

I would select Nice. It is a transportation hub. We stayed in Nice this past May and took day trips out from Nice. We did spend a day in Antibes as a day trip. I think Nice is your better base camp option.

Posted by
707 posts

If you are going October or later, you'll likely find Nice to be more convenient for transport. Antibes is good for sandy beaches and a quieter summer, but can be limiting as a base, especially out of season. You transport conditions will generally be better out of Nice. By next fall, there should also be improved service along the train corridor.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, Gooster! We have experience with the trains n France, and it’s great that the Riveria towns are so close together.