Please sign in to post.

Annecy

Still undecided -- but getting closer. I would like to know the easiest train connections for the following:
I would like to spend at least 2 nights in the Rhine leaving Amsterdam & that is fairly straight forward.
From there I wish to head towards Annecy; so I will need a one night stay in-between. This is where I need help. Strasbourg, Colmar, or Basel perhaps? Then to Annecy for 2-3 nights? From Annecy to Reims for one night. Then back to Amsterdam.
The dates are early September, so I presume the weather will be better to begin in the Rhine. However I would like to know if this itinerary would work better the other way around.

Posted by
6883 posts

Hi,
It takes a lot of time to reach Annecy from the Rhine valley, and then go back to Reims and Amsterdam. You risk spending a lot of time travelling. Would you consider Luzern instead of Annecy? They are of course different places, but share similar features: lakeside location, old town, in the Alps with dramatic mountain scenery close by (arguably more dramatic than near Annecy).

Luzern is easily reached from the Rhine valley (I'm assuming Mainz-Koblenz area) in 5-6 hours by train (vs. 9-11 hours for Annecy), so no need to overnight.
Similarly, you would save a lot of travel time on the way back north. It is fairly easy to go back to Reims from there (5 hours), and then it's another 5 hours from Reims to Amsterdam. Whereas Annecy to Reims takes closer to 7 hours, with a cross-town journey in Paris.

Which makes me think... why Reims? It could be more efficient to fly back from Zurich to Amsterdam and save 2 travel days.

Posted by
74 posts

@balso - yes Luzern is fabulous and I know because I have been there. That trip will be hard to top as a matter of fact. We ventured up to Pilatus and Titlis; we could not have asked for better weather. I stayed in Varenna on Lake Como during the same trip. Since we live on the beautiful Island of Maui, we are attracted to trees, mountains and lakes for a change of pace. I would like to see more of France this time around and that is why I was attracted to Annecy or Lake Maggiore. I was hoping to get there along with the Rhine visit; but most on this forum feel that these areas are too far apart. Why Reims? - champagne houses ;)

Posted by
6883 posts

Well, Lake Maggiore would be much easier to fit in, as you can also reach Stresa in about 7 hours from Mainz. No need to overnight, and a fairly scenic journey through the Alps (OK, many tunnels, but still). Then, I'd just go to Milan Airport and fly back to Amsterdam, leaving Reims for another visit!

Posted by
74 posts

Yes - probably more to see & do on Lake Maggiore vs. Annecy. Is there a way to view the various train routes on a single site? For instance will I need to change from Bahn to SBB or Trenitalia? it has been a few years since planning my last trip and I am way behind. I do hate to miss France again --- perhaps a stop in Paris on the way back would be in order. I appreciate all of the input.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey betty
another "hawaiian" from hamakua coast of big island here. we are flying to paris - 1 night, train to geneva from gare de lyon station - 2 nights, then taxi to annecy for 6 nights, train to paris - 8 nights. never been to annecy or geneva. looking forward to it. it's a relaxing no worry no hurry vacation (hang loose) middle of september. staying in an apartment with terrace and view of lake with things in folder to do. eat at different places, boat ride on lake, day trip to chambery on train and sit at cafes with glass of vino to people watch. tour around to villages around lake.
been to paris 3 times, amsterdam twice. gorgeous and busy city, you will love it. bikes bikes everywhere and anywhere. hope you have a great and fun trip.
ps: lived in makawao many many years ago and dad worked at ulupalakua ranch before it becoming a winery.
aloha

Posted by
74 posts

Aloha Pupele - sounds like a wonderful trip. Why would you need a taxi to Annecy - I assumed there was a train station? It sounds as though it will be too far out of the way for us this time. I'm getting very anxious about not having a plan as yet. Keep hoping to get inspired.

Posted by
6883 posts

Betty, to check train times in Europe www.bahn.de/en will give you connections.
And if you want to buy tickets on a single website, www.loco2.com does it.

Else, in a Rhine to Stresa journey you only switch between German and Swiss railways - there is an international Swiss-Italian train from Basel to Milan passing through Stresa, sold by both the Swiss and Italian railways.

As for a cab from Geneva to Annecy? It might cost $200, cabs are very expensive in Switzerland. There are frequent buses, called Transalis, as an alternative.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey betty
there is a train station geneva to annecy is 2h15m ($37-56), a bus is a little over an hour (up to $15). my friend doesn't do buses (haha). found a taxi from 90E and will book soon. we are both okay will it, no fancy dinner one night. i'm saving money since airfare and apts are a treat to me.
aloha