Please sign in to post.

Amis du Louvre - summer 2024

My family of four will be in Paris for a week at the end of June 2024. We know from past visits that our preference is to visit the Lourvre at our leisure for an hour or two each day of our visit. This has become more complicated in recent years due to timed entries. As a result, we're thinking we'd like to become members to help us avoid lines and have the flexibility to come and go without having to worry about being tied to set times. We are not concerned if it ends up costing a little extra...we'll just view it as a donation to a place we love.

Here are some questions I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. How challenging is it to purchase the membership in person? Can we easily get to the office through the Carousel du Louvre?
  2. Our children are 16 &10. Is there any reason to purchase memberships for them? Or can they enter with us without having a timed entry ticket? (I know they get in free, but I'm just wondering if there is a reason to buy the kids membership for the convenience.)

Interested to hear any other thoughts, suggestions, or tips anyone has on this topic.

Posted by
557 posts

I’m hoping someone replies to your post, heatherlawrence. I too am very interested in purchasing a yearly pass. I could have sworn there was some info in a prior post a year or so ago but I just spent about an hour searching the forum and couldn’t find it! Fingers crossed you hear something.

Posted by
10526 posts

Joining Les Amis du Louvre is very easy. Here's the page, but you'll have to find the English version. https://www.amisdulouvre.fr/adherer-renouveler Your double membership is 120 euros. The children get in free.

You can enroll on line, also. If your cards don't arrive in time, the office will have your membership in the computer and will give you duplicate cards. Or, just go to the Richelieu entrance, say you are going to Les Amis office, and the guard should let you go inside and down the escalators. Although it's easy, do fill out any forms that you can before you go to save time and remember your photos.

Although you can use the Richelieu entrance, I still suggest going early, by 9:30. Last summer I took my granddaughter for 1.5 hours every morning going to a different section every day: Egypt, Greek statues, Rome, etc. We'd leave by 11 when it started getting crowded.

Posted by
8447 posts

FWIW. the last time I walked by the Richelieu entrance this spring, the line for entry there was a couple of blocks long in the passageway.

When I took my granddaughter to the Louvre we had to have a reserved time slot for her although it was free. I would ask the Amis office how that is handed with the membership card-- if the kids can just walk in with you.

Posted by
10526 posts

There is a separate line, separated from the school and tour groups, at the Richelieu entrance for Les Amis du Louvre. It moves you right to the front. The children, just like the members, don’t need a reservation. But, as I said, go early. One day last fall, I wanted to return after lunch. around 2 pm during November school vacation and it was jammed even for members.

If you are feeling unsure, you can enroll and pay now online. If your cards don’t arrive before you leave, you can show the guards your email receipt and head to the office as a family. They will quickly issue duplicates. In fact, as a new member, that is definitely what I’d do. I’ve always had my card to show, even expired. Your question reminds me to renew, thanks.