We are spending Christmas with friends in Osnabruck Germany, flying into and out of Charles de Gaulle. I started a thread on the Belgium forum thinking we might try and visit a city between Osnabruck and Paris at the end of the month. We have a few days at the end of our trip that we had planned to spend in Paris. My purpose on the Belgium forum was to maybe find something between Osnabruck and Paris as an alternative. We are concerned about the unrest in Paris.
I wanted to ask on this forum if we're overreacting. We've never seen Paris and don't want to lose an opportunity if the issues in the city wouldn't present any danger to us. Our hotel is on quai de Grenelle which puts us roughly a half mile from the Eiffel Tower. We'll be there at least two nights (12/30 and New Years Eve) and are looking for suggestions. We aren't planning to do museums as our 16 and 11 year olds probably won't be interested. We aren't against walking long distances as long as the areas are safe.
- Given the current protest activity, is that area relatively safe? If we assume no changes between now and the end of the month would we be OK staying there?
- Outside of museums, what are the must-sees in Paris?
- I really enjoy bread and wine, and am looking forward to sampling both in Paris. Suggestions?
- Is it reasonable to assume we could return our rental car at Charles de Gaulle and use shuttles or cabs for any activities within Paris as well as getting from and back to the airport?
- Any good spots to go running near our hotel?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.