Please sign in to post.

Alsace the week of US Thanksgiving 2024

We are considering Paris and Alsace the week of Thanksgiving, but I'm concerned it will be too early for decorations and Christmas markets. Would it be better to wait a week. Thanksgiving is late this year.

Posted by
7559 posts

Not sure about decorations, but a number of Christmas Markets will be opening on November 24th this year, Strasbourg does. Others may wait until the following Sunday.

In Paris, there are a number of markets, some opening mid-November, some not until Mid-December. This site includes Markets and other December events:
https://www.parisdiscoveryguide.com/paris-events-december.html

Posted by
9578 posts

If the Strasbourg markets are already open on your dates, I say go for it. The earlier in their season you go, the less crowded they are.

Whether the Paris "markets' are open then is immaterial, as they suck !! You would go to Paris just to be in Paris, but not for the Christmas markets specifically.

Posted by
116 posts

I’ll also add that, if you do go, try to go mid-week if possible. The weekends, at least in Colmar, were insane on the weekend we were there this past Christmas. I promised myself I’d never go on a weekend again.

Posted by
765 posts

Especially if you have a car, you might also check those on the German side to see what's open. Freiburg im Breisgau, for example, starts theirs November 21, and is only about 30 miles from Colmar.