Please sign in to post.

Alsace Region

My husband and I will be visiting the Alsace region of France for a couple days while visiting the Rhine and Mosel regions of Germany.

Please suggest must see attractions and wineries.

Would you recommend staying in Strasbourg or Colmar?

Thank you so much.

Posted by
432 posts

Consider staying in a smaller location like Ribeauville or Riquewihr. Lots to see in the area, in the middle of vineyards and many wineries, castles, many walks and cute villages. A car would be essential to visit the area.

Posted by
20026 posts

Chateau Haut Koenigsbourg, outside of Selestat, is especially good. Restored Medieval castle on a mountain top.

Posted by
4684 posts

If either you or your husband are interested in cars or trains, Mulhouse, near the Swiss border, has the French national railway and auto museums, both of which are huge and excellent. You can just about do both in one day if you start early.

Posted by
3159 posts

I've visited Strasbourg and Colmar on separate trips and either one, or both, would make a wonderful visit in the Alsace region. You wouldn't go wrong choosing either one. And thanks to my namesake's posting, I'll have to visit Mulhouse. 🚂

Posted by
1549 posts

If you only have two days, stay in one and day trip to the other. You cannot tour the region, spend quality time in Colmar and Strasbourg in a couple of days.

Posted by
3240 posts

You really can't go wrong with either one. But if you are traveling by train, Strasbourg is a more convenient choice.

When we stayed in Strasbourg in 2015, we really enjoyed the Hotel Hannong. It's an easy walk from the train station and an easier walk to the Cathedral.

http://www.hotel-hannong.com/