Please sign in to post.

Alsace

We're planning a family trip to Alsace in September. One family member does not eat meat or fish. Will it be difficult to find vegetarian cuisine?

Posted by
16302 posts

Although Alsatian cuisine is pretty heavy on meat,5)3&3 should be plenty of vegetarian options as well, particularly salads, pasta and the local version of pizza, known as Flammkuchen or Tarte Flambée. Think of it as square pizza with crème fraiche he instead of red sauce. The traditional one has Speck or lardons, but there are vegetarian versions on menus as well. Ask if you are not sure.

Posted by
13950 posts

I am vegan and did OK in Colmar. I did try the local tarte flambee pizza-type thing with no meat on it even though I knew it had dairy. I was able to eat vegan at an Indian restaurant in Colmar and at the covered market food stalls. If your family member eats cheese and dairy they will be in heaven.

Here is a menu example. Honestly, I ate here even though the menu didn't have much for vegan options...their terrace on the square was lovely and the sun was shining!

http://www.restaurant-pfeffel.fr/restaurant-pfeffel-colmar-carte-en.html

Posted by
769 posts

The Fork is popular in France, sort of like Yelp here. You can run searches by town along with filters like vegetarian or "with vegetarian dishes." Particularly with the latter search I would confirm by looking over the menu myself, but at least it gives you a place to start. Also useful for making reservations, reading reviews, etc.

Posted by
13950 posts

History Traveler's post reminded me that you or your family member can also use Happy Cow for restaurants in Europe that have vegetarian options. They have an app as well.

www.happycow.net

Posted by
484 posts

I don't eat much meat or fish either and I had no problems finding food in the Alsace region.