Please sign in to post.

Aix or Avignon

I’m on the final stages of planning a 2 weeks trip in France in March next year. We will arrive in Avignon after several days in Paris and Loire Valley on March 24 and must leave for Paris on the 29th. Flying home the morning of the 30th and have hotel at the airport already booked for the 29th.

I’ve been told that Aix in Provence is a lovely must see. Should I take the train from Avignon to Aix the 28th and spend one night then find the best way to Paris from Avignon (get to Marsaille and fly or a bit longer by Train) or just stay in Avignon and not try to go? I don’t know whether I should rent a car in Avignon or just use public transport and guided tours. I’m not thrilled with the idea of driving in or near a larger city so tad afraid of marseille with a rental car.

Thoughts?

Posted by
7873 posts

I'd just go to Aix-en-Provence on a daytrip instead of switching hotels just for one night.
Or stay in Aix-en-Provence and daytrip to Avignon.
You either need a car or you can purchase a guided tour of the area.

Posted by
3167 posts

Easiest to stay in Avignon and day trip to Aix (or Arles) and then take the TGV from Avignon to Paris. Takes under 3 hours and no airport hassles.
EDIT - just noticed there are direct trains from Avignon to CDG!

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
I was hot to trot to go to Avignon because of the Roman Catholic papacy being headquartered there for some time. If that is why you are going there I have breaking news for you. Anything that belonged to the Avignon papacy that wasn't nailed to the floor was taken by the Roman church authorities a long, long time ago. The buildings are basically empty. I was disappointed.

Then again maybe you are going there because of the song you were forced to learn as a child. Le Pont d"Avignon is still there and the number of people visiting it is testimony to childhood educational quirks. My wife wanted to see the...bridge? She was happy.
So it goes.

wayne iNWI