Please sign in to post.

Airport Transfer

Hello and Bonjour
My husband and I are seeking advice on using Paris Web service for a transfer from CDG airport to our hotel on ST Louis, Paris. I feel that would be a good choice for us up our arrival. Maybe expensive but the taxi option also looked like it could become expensive as well. It is our first trip abroad and it would be reassuring to know a driver would be waiting for us according to RS guide book. I would appreciate any feedback, Merci

Posted by
8293 posts

The taxi option will not become "more expensive". There is a flat fee of 50 or 55 Euro from CDG to Paris, depending on your hotel being on the right of left bank. There are always taxis waiting for passengers, just get in the queue and be sure to have your hotel address written down for the driver. Buy a nice bottle of wine with the money you save.

Posted by
8055 posts

In some cities it pays to set up a private transfer and I understand as a newbie that seems sensible, but it is not for Paris. Cabs are cheap and available and reliable; private transfers have a bad reputation of standing up passengers, keeping them waiting, and if they fail to show not returning their money.

Posted by
11294 posts

Assuming you mean the Ile Saint-Louis, that is the 4th arrondissement, which is the Right Bank. So, a taxi from CDG to your hotel will be a flat, fixed rate of €50, with no need to tip beyond this.

Posted by
3695 posts

I don't recommend any shuttles that you would arrange online. If you insist on a private shuttle, get your hotel to arrange it. It will cost you probably between 75€ and 80€ but odds are they will show up. I think spending the extra 25€ to 30€ is a waste of money but my husband disagrees. I'd just take a regular taxi. You can write the address including the postal code and 50€ on a piece of paper that you hand to the driver after saying bonjour if you are concerned about language issues or a driver trying to charge you more than the fixed fare. By the way, the fixed fare is for up to 4 people and their luggage.

Posted by
59 posts

Merci,
Yes, it would be a good option to take a taxi then. I appreciate hearing from seasoned travelers who have been there. I am so glad I asked as the Paris web service is quite expensive! Thanks again for all your replies, Val

Posted by
8293 posts

Dear Gift: As this is your first trip to Paris (and may there be many more) there are two websites that can help a lot.

tomsguidetoparis.com and parisbytrain.com

Posted by
9 posts

Being something of a cheapskate, I had good luck with Le Bus Direct (formerly Les Cars Air France) from several gates at CDG into Gare de Lyon (for the right bank) and Gare de Montparnasse (for the left). The fare to Gare de Lyon was 17 euros one way, 30 euros RT. Both Lyon and Montparnasse have handy Metro stations but also taxis available for getting to hotels. This is an inexpensive alternative, especially if you travel fairly light.

Posted by
5 posts

On the recommended platform there are good offers. 46 Euro for Limousine (no waiting for Taxi) or below 20 Euros per Person for a shuttle bus. Forget Taxi...ist too expensive and sometimes waiting time.

Posted by
10189 posts

Another vote for Norma's suggestion to buy a bottle of wine with the money you save taking a taxi.

Note that when you come out of the secure area, it can be chaotic with illegal car and motorcycle drivers trying to pick up illegal rides. If you haven't hired a driver, walk past all these touts and go directly to the taxi line. Get in line and stay there until you get to the head of the line where the person in charge will put you in a taxi. The price will be slightly higher than 50 due to a charge for your suitcases, and I would give a 1-2 euro tip.

I've used every means of transport from shuttles, taxis, family car, RER, Air France bus, Roissybus, even Norma's cheap 3-ticket city bus. Taking a taxi is my suggestion for you.

Posted by
8055 posts

The price is NOT slightly higher due to your suitcases. Four passengers and their luggage are included in the 50 Euro flat fare. No tip is required; I usually tip a couple of Euro if the driver handles the luggage and is otherwise pleasant and helpful. I tipped 5 when I had a broken elbow in a cast and he was particularly helpful and took luggage from the lobby of the apartment building.

If you do go with a private service make sure it one that does not require pre-payment as they are notorious for not refunding money after no shows.

Posted by
7209 posts

I know private shuttles aren't recommended in Paris...BUT if you insist on having one then look carefully at Shuttle Inter. I've used them 2 years in a row, 2 trips each and will use them again in about a week. They show up right on time and have never let us down.