Please sign in to post.

Air France

Hi,
I have a question about the weight of both carry on bag and personal bag flying with Air France.. I went online first, the weight is 12 kg for both. I find that it’s not very much. I then called and spoke with the agent who was very vague with my question. She said it depends on how many passengers are on board.
Has anyone traveled with Air France? Do they routinely weigh both bags?
Would you share your experience here? I welcome with any advice.
Thank you in advance.
Mrs.T

Posted by
11180 posts

In Biz class you get 18kg allowance for carry on

Do they routinely weigh both bags?

What airport(s) do you plan to use? There may be differences. on what is 'usual'

Posted by
10192 posts

12 kilos is 26.4 pounds. Do you think you are going to be schelping even that much through an airport for carry-on?
I've traveled a lot with Air France and have never had my carry-on and personal item weighed.
The vague answer you received meant that if the plane is full, they may weigh and measure items. Nowadays, most planes fly full or nearly full.

Posted by
9573 posts

I have had Air France weigh my carry-on and then charge me to check what I had planned to carry on (that's what I get for not having paid attention to the 12-kilo limit).

Posted by
27120 posts

You might be able to get around that weight limit by wearing your heaviest shoes and putting the heaviest things (like cell phone and external battery) in a secure pocket of a garment you are wearing.

Posted by
40 posts

A multipocket jacket is your friend, as mentioned upthread. Heavy but small stuff like powerbanks, chargers, etc can slip into zippered pockets on your person, as no one is weighing you before boarding. A field jacket type coat or vest can hold a surprising amount of stuff.

Posted by
13 posts

I’d like to thank you who responded to my requests. So very kind of you to take time to reply.
I’ll take your advice. I will learn from your experiences. My personal and carryon bags will be about a little 3 lbs over. Half the stuff are gifts for my family. I think l'll be fine really. Thus far, the airplane is only half full. Why? Because l am flying out on Easter Sunday.
Thank you.
Mrs.T

Posted by
1081 posts

How do you know if it is half full? If you are looking at a seat map, many do not get seat assignments until 24 hours before the flight. Anyways, there are always pockets if you are close in weight.

Posted by
13 posts

Hey Gail,
Thanks for your input and advice on my quest.
When l booked and purchased the tickets, the Air France site will prompt me to pick the preferred available seats, and l did. I mean, why wouldn’t anyone choose their seats at the time of purchasing the tickets?

Posted by
6788 posts

Many, many people do not choose their seats (or have seats assigned to them) before showing up at the gate to board the plane. Why? Who knows? (Does it matter why? It's true regardless of the reason).

Whatever tool you are using to "see" unassigned seats is not a valid representation of how full your flight will be.

Nowadays, most flights go out completely full, or with just a few empty seats.

Posted by
1081 posts

I mean, why wouldn’t anyone choose their seats at the time of purchasing the tickets?

Many, like me, buy the cheap tickets which do not allow you to pick seats until online check-in. On my last Air France flight, 75% of the seats in the main economy were open 2 days before the flight. On the day of the flight, 3 seats remained open. The tickets were already sold, and when that 24 hour before the flight happened, the mad dash for those seats started. I got my aisle seat :)

Posted by
13 posts

Okay. I appreciate your feedback.
Thank you.
I am not concerned anymore as l’ll definitely stick to the Air France baggage weight and size policy.
The multiple pockets that l have in my jacket will provide enough space if necessary.
I have been traveling since l was a child. I am almost 70.
Nowadays, flying has become quite stressful & challenging really. Nonetheless, it does not deter me from traveling & going places via flying. A quote from Mr. Rick Steves “ to travel is to live” or “ travel is rich with learning opportunities…”
Or the famous quotation” the world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page”

Posted by
13 posts

I did fly across the pond w Air France a week ago.
They did not weigh my carry on nor my personal bag. In fact, no one did.
There you have it.
I was sweating for nothing.

Posted by
482 posts

I once saw a poster that said, “Worry is the misuse of imagination.” I try to keep that in mind to avoid unnecessarily stressing out.

Posted by
731 posts

Thank you for reporting back Mrs. T! I hope you had, or are having, a wonderful trip.

Posted by
13 posts

I am having a blast traveling w my family in Tunis,
Tomorrow to Palermo to join the Rick Steves Tour for 11 days!