Please sign in to post.

Aguille du Midi

Hello - I'm seeing a few posts on the Aguille du Midi, but nothing recent. And the website for tickets is not very English friendly. I think I am seeing that adult round trip tickets are 65 euros each. Does that get you all the way to the very top? Or are there additional charges for that final elevator ride and glass box "Step into the void" attraction? We are going in late May so it doesn't sound like the cable car down into Italy will be open yet. It also sounds like everyone suggests NOT purchasing advanced tickets due to the potential for bad weather that would shut down the lift. Anything else we should know? Your help is appreciated!

Posted by
7839 posts

Yes it is currently in 2019 65 euros roundtrip Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi 3777m cable car ride.

Access to the Step into The Void is free, as it is included in the price of the Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi 3777m cable car ride.

The cable car down to the Italian side terminating in Courmayer is closed From 11-May-2020 to 15-May-2020

And never buy a ticket to the top of a mountain in advance. There is a 24 hour webcam of the conditions on top that you can refer to the morning of. https://www.chamonix.com/webcam-vallee-de-chamonix,48-5051373,en.html

Some hotels will have webcams also

We did it. Family of five. Timed tickets very organized, but lots of skiers. After being jammed into the lift, we were off. Family immediately want to go back down because of the effects of the altitude. It was a beautiful clear day but 17f. It was really an experience to cap off our trip to France.

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi, we were there in 2017 on RS Eastern France tour. Our guide helped us purchase tickets and we got a ticket that went to the top of the Aguille du Midi and also included a train ride to Montenvers and the ice cave. I don’t see it listed on the website but you might check. It made for a very nice day.

Posted by
32206 posts

td,

You can easily buy tickets there, and I wouldn't bother buying tickets in advance. The Panoramic Mont Blanc which travels across the glacier to Pointe Helbronner (IT) is extra cost. According to this website, they may be open from 21 May to 31 May 2020 - https://www.chamonix.com/telecabine-panoramic-mont-blanc,48-156870,en.html (subject to weather). As I recall, the small Telecabines can take four passengers. It's a spectacular ride across the glacier, on one of the longest cable car runs without support towers. You could just take the Panoramic across to Pointe Helbronner, have lunch and then return to the Aguille du Midi.

One very important caveat about the Aguille du Midi. It's at an elevation of about 12,600 feet, and altitude issues can affect some people in varying degrees (I can tell you that from personal experience). On a short one day visit, you won't have time to become acclimatized to the altitude. You may wish to speak to your family physician about that.

Posted by
15582 posts

I was there around June 15 for one full day (on an RS tour), about 4 years ago. There were only a very few people in line to buy tickets and no line for the ascent. I did have to wait about 1/2 hour for the descent. I knew in advance that the "step into the void" would be closed for some work, but I was looking forward to the ride to the Italian side and back. The cable car was down for the day and the employees didn't know why.

Be aware that altitude sickness can happen. Chamonix is only about 3000' so there's a huge difference and no acclimation time. Take lots of water with you (drinking water helps). There's no potable water at the top and the cafeteria prices are very steep. Also you need good UV protection - sunglasses and sunscreen.