Please sign in to post.

Agriturismos?

We are starting to plan our trip to France next year and I am just wondering if they have anything like the agriturismos in Italy (or if any country does). We stayed in agriturismos while in Tuscany and it was such a great idea that if this is available in France then that is where my search for accommodations would start. I am assuming that this is a strictly Italian thing, but thought I would check.

Thanks -

george

Posted by
7280 posts

Do a search on “France Farmstay.” You’ll find many options. The French word for farm is “ferme”

Posted by
371 posts

Gite de France is the French equivalent to Agriturismo. You rent these country houses/apartments by the week. Normally Saturday to Saturday. They are many times rehabbed old stone places. You will need a car and will have to cook your meals or drive to town to a cafe. Steve Smith, the French expert at Rick Steves travel, owns a gite. I have stayed at one and it was a great week. There are gites all over the French countryside.

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks for the reply. We will be looking to stay less than a week in each so that we can cover more territory, but if one is centrally located to where we end up planning to be then perhaps we'll go that direction.

Cheers -

george