Please sign in to post.

Accomodations in Avignon

We have been looking at the Thames Residence Hotel in Avignon. The reviews on TripAdvisor are very good. Has anyone stayed there recently? There are very view photos on TripAdvisor (or anywhere else that I've found).

Posted by
2261 posts

Have not stayed there, but I noticed one review which points out a possible noise issue. It appears to be on the busy street just inside the city wall, surely convenient to the public parking nearby and the train station (Avignon Centre) but maybe too close.
We stayed in a B & B several blocks north of there, still convenient to train and parking, but it was quiet. Having said that, the hotel you reference certainly has good reviews.

Posted by
398 posts

I studied in Avignon (albeit almost ten years ago), so I know the city pretty well. The Thames certainly has very good reviews, but as the previous poster wrote, it's located really close to the train station. It appears to be located just outside of the city walls, along a pretty busy street (Boulevard St. Roch). It's not that this is too far from everything - you are still probably only a 10-15 minute walk from the Palais des Papes, the Rocher des Doms, etc. But if I were headed back, I would definitely try to find somewhere inside the city walls ("intra-muros"), located at least a street or two away from the Rue de la Republique (just because if you were directly on it, it would get loud). There are lots of cute, small places just east of the Rue de la Republique. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the Thames - I'm not familiar with it, and the reviews certainly look great. But I would stay in a more central location.

Posted by
18 posts

I appreciate your reply. Thank you. We ended up booking at another location. We're looking forward to our visit to Avignon and the surrounding areas. We want to visit some of the vineyards and taste some of the wines. Any recommendations?