Please sign in to post.

Accommodations for 2022 in France

Hi. My family is thinking about a trip to France in June/July 2022, and thought it would be more interesting (and less expensive) stay in gites in the countryside rather than hotels in cities. Looking around at availability, however, it seems that most or all of them are booked up at least through next summer. Could it be that all such accommodations are reserved this far in advance (even with pent up COVID demand), or is it more likely that we’re getting notices of no availability because it’s still too far out to make a reservation? Does anybody else have any experience with this? Thanks.

Posted by
9420 posts

Too far out. You’ll have to wait until about 9 months out.

Posted by
6113 posts

It’s probably too far out. Accommodation prices in June will be significantly cheaper than July, when many prices can double. I would look late July/ early August.

Posted by
870 posts

Another option on the gite rental might be contacting a chateau owner and seeing if they have any availabilities. We have thoroughly enjoyed watching the YOU TUBE series that many of them are featuring while in lockdown......they know that to maintain the chateaus they must rent out rooms and gites using their outbuildings as rental property.......and they are located all over France. They are charming and seem to be lovely places in good locations to stay and see a part of the countryside while in France. You would also be helping a beautiful historic chateau to stay open and occupied.

Posted by
2916 posts

We have been renting gites in France for over 30 years, and almost always use Gites de France (https://www.gites-de-france.com). It's a great resource, but I'm sure that June/July 2022 is too far out. I believe that when I've looked for bookings in the fall for the following spring, I've had to wait until later in the year for the reservation calendar for the following year to appear.

Posted by
9420 posts

Jane, that’s such a great suggestion! I’m making a note to self to do that. I love French chateaux and would love to stay at one.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all for you advice. I’m glad to know there are still likely to be a lot of options available for next year!