Please sign in to post.

A month in Paris

We are going to spend the month of April 2019 in Paris as part of an extended 9 month trip. We plan to rent a studio or one bedroom place. Of course, we would love to be in the coveted arrondissements like Marais but want to keep the cost to around $2000/month and from what I've seen on AirBnB that doesn't look likely. Does anyone have suggestions for neighborhoods further out that have good transportation options and have a Paris feel - restaurants, bakeries, etc nearby. Thanks much!

Posted by
3695 posts

There are many neighborhoods in Paris with good transport options, restaurants, bakeries, etc. Take a look at the area just to the east of Bastille metro, the area around Pernety and Plaisance metro stations in the 14th, the area La-Motte-Picquette-Grenelle metro station in the 15th, and the area around Saint Georges metro station in the 9th. For a month long trip, staying in the 3rd through 6th arrondissements is not really necessary (it's not necessary ever but it is often recommended for a shorter visits to minimize transit time during a short trip) and if the budget cannot support that, there are many other well located and charming areas.

Posted by
2545 posts

If $2000 is US dollars, that is less than 1700€ or about 400€ per week. You should be able to find an efficiency or chambre de bonne for that price or less but it would require a 12 month lease. For only a month you might have a larger selection at 500€ per week. You might take a look at the following:

Locacity

Le Bon Coin

Sejouring

PaP Vacances

Pap Vacances has a number of properties within Paris (75) at 400€ to 500€ per week.

Posted by
27111 posts

Since you're planning a very long trip and I don't know about your plans beyond Paris, I want to be sure you are aware that, if you're not traveling on an EC passport and do not have a long-stay visa, you are limited to 90 days within any rolling 180-day period inside the Schengen Zone. Exiting the Zone to visit a non-Schengen country does not reset the counter, and both your arrival day and your departure day in the Zone count toward the limit.

Posted by
33 posts

Yes - thanks so much about the Schengen reminder - I became aware of that through an earlier post in the forum - so glad y'all brought that to my attention. We are planning accordingly!! Thanks again - and thanks for the suggestions! We may have to concede that Paris is going to be one of the places where we go over budget, and try to save in some of the places that aren't as expensive.

Posted by
3391 posts

Don't know if this is a possibility for you but we are staying in Paris this summer for a month for $0. Home exchange! You can live in a nice place for nothing while allowing another family to stay in your place while you are gone. We've done this many times and it's great!

Posted by
2466 posts

I would not recommend a "chambre de bonne", because they are normally about 12 metres square. They are uniformly miserable - no insulation in sight.
You'll have much better luck in the 11th or 12th arrondissement.

Posted by
155 posts

I have been following Lynn and Tim Martin, who are serious world travelers. They stay in Europe/Paris and then offset the cost by staying in South America, Mexico, etc. They share great travel tips as well as specific stay locations. I suggest you look at their website: http://homefreeadventures.com/

Maybe you can find something there.

Good luck and happy travels.
Paulette