Please sign in to post.

8 nights in Lyon & Provence in middle of September 2024

We will arrive at Paris airport around 11 am Friday morning and plan to take a high speed train around 2 pm to Lyon and stay at Lyon for 4-night, then take a train to Avignon the following Tuesday. We plan to stay at Avignon Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday to tour Avignon, Nimes and Arles. Since a train rider to Aix-en-Provence takes around 2 hours and has to change train at Marseille. We are thinking about to stay 2-night(Friday & Saturday) at a Marseille hotel and day trip to Aix-en-Provence. On Sunday, we will take a direct train to Paris Disney vs taking at Avignon Center with 1 transfer at Avignon TGV or Nimes.

I need some inputs regarding to our tentative plan.

Is 4-nighrt at Lyon too much for the city?

Any suggestion for 3-night at Avignon?

Is Marseille and Aix-en-Provence worth 2 days?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
95 posts

We stayed one night in Lyon last week and wish we had a least one more day. We then headed to Aix and stayed Thursday night to Tuesday morning. If you go to Aix on a summer weekend, it is very busy in the old town but very walkable and the museums are much more quiet. We did two road trips from Aix: Luberon Valley and Les Baux, which I thoroughly enjoyed

Posted by
7278 posts

Hi,

I find that 4 nights is a bit long for Lyon, 3 nights is enough.
Conversely, I would recommend 4 nights in Avignon as there are many day trip possibilites.
And I would recommend staying in Aix-en-Provence over Marseille (more charming for most, and easier to handle): you can take the bus from Avignon to Aix (ZOU line 63), it only takes 1:15 hours, city center to city center.
For the trip back to Disneyland, you can take a train from Aix-en-Provence TGV (30 min bus ride from central Aix, frequent departures).

Posted by
1026 posts

I'll differ. I personally would spend more time in Lyon, as I find the modest charms of Avignon to be best appreciated in a day trip from elsewhere. Lyon is a fabulous place, and four days there is not excessive.

Aix and Marseille are both worthy destinations, but I'd also want to spend a couple of nights in a scenic village such as Valbonne, north of Cannes, or Valensole in the Luberon, in order to get more of the rural feel of Provence. Personally, I prefer Cannes and its environs to the rest of Provence, but everyone is different. We stayed a couple of nights in Manosque, not far from Valensole, and I was not especially comfortable there. Very unusual for me in France, I have to say.

Posted by
302 posts

I lived in Lyon for several years, and I think your 4 nights plan would be fine. In truth, it probably going to be about 2.5 days (looks as if you'll be arriving around 4 in the afternoon if you've left Paris at 2 and on the fourth day you'll be leaving for Avignon). I'd stay longer, but I know the town better than some, so I know lots of things to do.

One point I thought I'd make is that you'll be staying over on a Sunday, and it is far better to spend a Sunday in a large-ish city such as Lyon as opposed to smaller towns, because so many businesses are closed on Sundays. There's plenty to do in Lyon on a Sunday. Just a walk through the huge marché Saint-Antoine Célestin along the Saône River can be a terrific experience, and a bus trip (or hire a Citroën 2CV with driver) to go to Les Puces du Canal (large flea market), which can be a lot of fun. One of the livelier places to be in Lyon on a Sunday is the international (mostly North African) neighborhood and businesses in the Guillotière neighborhood in Lyon's 3rd arrondissement -- most of them are open on Sundays. Lastly, Croix-Rousse up on the hill has its market on Sunday, and it's quite large as well.

Posted by
1221 posts

pinehmh1,
I would take the bus from Avignon to Aix, not the train. No need to go to Marseille and transfer. Personally, I prefer Arles or Aix to Avignon, and would stay in either place over Avignon. Avignon does have the advantage, perhaps, of more access to day trip possibilities than does Arles. (I would check on that.) Avignon doesn't have the charms of Arles or Aix, in my opinion. Then Palais des Papes is historically interesting, but not very imprressive in itself, and you see the bridge, but I felt five minutes of looking at it was plenty.

Wherever you decide to stay after Lyon, I would be sure to see Nimes and the nearby Pont de Gard. And if you do decide to visit Marseille, you could easily pass the day having a nice meal in the Vieux Port, visiting the church Notre Dame de la Garde, the Cathedrale La Major, and seeking out Greek ruins at the Jardin des Vestiges near the old Port. You may even want to visit Chateau d'If, if you are a fan of the "The Count of Monte Cristo".
Arles has the Roman amphitheaters and other Roman sites, a charming old town, nice parks, and charming markets.
You have lots of good choices, all not too far from the TGV line when it is time for you to head north.
Bonne chance!

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

What is your thought about Montpellier as compared to Marseille? How many nights for Montpellier?

if we spend 3 nights at Avignon, what is other cities with easy train or bus transportations besides Arles, Nimes. We only have half day to tour Avignon for the 1st night since we will take 2-hour train from Lyon.

As French trains, are TER or InterCity trains tickets valid as day-ticket or specific train on the confirmation because I noticed the price difference between different times of a day.