Please sign in to post.

8-day Paris Itinerary, October 2024

Senior Citizen couple, both 65+, Vegetarian, first time visiting Paris. I have bought the Paris Museum Pass, I have the G7 app on my phone. Planning to buy the Paris Metro Decouverte card for 7 days (Mon-Sat). Itinerary plans to cover most museums in the last 6 days (except Rodin). Avoiding Le Marias on a weekend.

I have reservations for Versailles, Louvre, Orangerie museums and Saint Chapelle.

Friday, October 11, 2024:
Land in CDG at 9:25 AM, reach Hotel around 12:00 noon. Walk around Saint Germain area in the evening.
Pont Neuf, Monnaie de Paris, Pont des Arts, Institut de France, The Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Laduree, The Eglise Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Café de Flore, Les Deux Magots, Rue de Buci, Le Procope, Saint Sulpice Church, Odeon Theatre. Then Luxembourg Gardens if possible.

Saturday, October 12, 2024:

Metro to Fontaine Saint-Michel. Walk to Notre Dame (outside pics) via Shakespeare and Company in the morning. After lunch take metro or a bus to the Rodin Museum. Later take a metro to the Grand Palace/Petit Palace and walk the Alexander Bridge.

Sunday, October 13, 2024:

Take a metro/bus to La Madeline church. Later go to Palais Garnier and then walk over to Galeries Lafayette. (No shopping, only to look around and see Paris from rooftop) Take a taxi or bus to spend the afternoon in Montrmartre district (Place du Tertre). Sunset at Sacre-Coeur.

6-day Paris Museum Pass starts Monday, October 14, 2024.

Monday, October 14, 2024:
Visit Hotel des Invalides in the morning. Eiffel Tower at 3:30 pm (confirmed tickets). Then, Seine River Cruise around sunset.

Tuesday, October 15, 2024:

All-day Versailles trip

Wednesday, October 16, 2024:
Spend about 4 hours at the Orsay Museum in the morning. After lunch spend the rest of the day in Latin Quarter-Pantheon, Church of Saint-Étienne-du-Mont, Rue Mouffetard, Luxembourg Gardens etc.

Thursday, October 17, 2024:

Le Marais all day
Hotel de Ville, Rue François Miron, Hotel de Sens, Bibliothèque Forney, Wall of Philip II Augustus, Église Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis, Hôtel de Sully, Place des Vosges, Musée Carnavalet, L'As du Fallafel, Église Notre-Dame des Blancs Manteaux, Archives Nationales, Centre Pompidou.

Friday, October 18, 2024:
Spend 4-5 hours at the Louvre in the morning. After lunch walk over to Tuileries Gardens and spend an hour at the Orangerie Museum. Then take a metro from Place de la Concorde to Arc de Triomphe.

Saturday, October 19, 2024:

Visit Saint-Chappelle + Conciergerie in the morning. Then Pont Neuf, Pont des Arts, Cluny Museum etc. Pack bags for return flight Sunday 11:30 am.

Posted by
1126 posts

taurus0515,
Your plans sound very goodand well-organized. You haven't tried to cram too much in each day. Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
14544 posts

Here are my thoughts:

Friday: This looks fine. If the weather is nice you can walk to Luxembourg Gardens depending on where your hotel is.

Saturday: Sometimes the "petition girls" gather in the crowded sidewalk outside Shakespeare & Co. They are usually Roma women who have "petitions" they want you to sign for some good cause. They poke the clipboard into your stomach as a distraction as a fellow member of the gang tries to pick your pocket. They are not dangerous, just annoying. Ignore and move away. Have your valuables secure under your clothing in a money belt. You can walk along the Seine to Pont Alexandre III if you like, otherwise, I'd walk over to Rue de Rivoli and catch Metro Line 1 from the Hotel de Ville stop (smaller station than Chatelet) to the Concorde or the Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau stop which puts you right beside the Petit and Grand Palais.

Sunday: This looks fine

Monday: This looks fine. If you are going to do the Army Museum, take a look at their floor plan first and curate what you decide you will see as it's huge. You can get lunch on Rue Cler if you like. Le Petit Cler is a nice sidewalk cafe you may enjoy.

Tuesday: Fine

Wednesday: Looks fine. Are you fans of Midnight in Paris? The steps where Gil is picked up by the time-traveling taxi are on the left side of Sainte-Etienne-du-Mont church which is right behind the Pantheon. This is an interesting church as well. It has a beautifully carved double helix rood screen as well as a shrine to Saint-Genevieve, the patron saint of Paris. You also might be able to do the Cluny Museum this afternoon. You do not need a timed entry for so you can drop in when convenient.

Thursday: If the weather is supposed to be better this afternoon, I'd do Rodin then. The neat stuff is in the Garden. You do not need a timed entry for this museum. This day looks light to me unless you are going to do something like a Paris Walk of the Marais (did not look to see what days they are doing the Marais circuit right now)

Friday:This is fine.

Saturday: This is fine. You could also consider popping into the Conciergerie which is sort of next door to Sainte-Chapelle. It is where Marie Antoinette was held before she was executed. This venue does not need a timed entry so you can decide at the last minute if you want to use your Museum Pass there. IF you've moved the Cluny to the day you do the Latin Quarter/Pantheon you'd definitely have time. The Conciergerie is small so doesn't take more than an hour or so.

Enjoy your trip to Paris! I hope you'll do a trip report when you return!

Posted by
6463 posts

Oh, travel4fun, I need to look into that app. I get so frustrated trying to figure out how to use the bus in Paris!

And taurus0515, I think you've done a masterful job of planning. My only comment would be to stay flexible. If a particular park or museum takes your fancy, feel free to stay longer. And of course if you realize something you've been looking forward to isn't what you wanted, fly free, little bird!

But a very nice, well thought out plan.

Have a wonderful time.

Posted by
750 posts

I love the G7 Paris taxi app! It's fabulous. Your itinerary looks lovely. Just want to say that the Gardens at the Rodin Museum are wonderful to stroll through, and of course the wonderful sculptures such as The Thinker are out there, so do not miss. On our recent visit we never made it inside, as we spent all of our time in the garden.

Do look at the schedule for St Suplice for Sunday morning if you are interested in hearing the magnificent organ prior to mass. It's wonderful. (I noticed you have it on Friday and another church on Sunday.)

And someone mentioned St Etienne's; which is fun to see the steps from the movie, Midnight in Paris.

Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
578 posts

Personally, I would download Citymapper for public transportation in Paris. I think it’s much easier to use than the official app

Posted by
572 posts

Plan looks great. If you have not already I’d encourage you to make a few dinner reservations. Note that on Sunday and Monday many restaurants are closed.
There are lots of good references and sites for vegetarians. Here are two: https://parisbymouth.com/category/with-certain-features/vegetarian-friendly/
https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vegetarian-rest-1/

Food is an important part of my travels. I like to plan my restaurants like the sights I want to see.
Playing by ear works great for some but I’ve had more success (and saved time) by checking them out and planning in advance.
Years ago a French person told me “no reservations is like showing up unannounced to a someone’s house for dinner.” That really stuck with me.