Please sign in to post.

5 days in France

Planning to visit France in November with my friend. Suggest some places to visit?

Posted by
7034 posts

If you have never been there before, and given that November weather is not ideal for most of rural and coastal France, I would suggest spending those 5 days in Paris. Not a groundbreaking suggestion, I know.
If you are going late November, after the Christmas Markets open, Alsace (Strasbourg/Colmar and vicinity) is another option.

Posted by
208 posts

We were in the Alsace region at the beginning of November 2019. We had decent weather, cool temperatures and no rain. Riquewihr and Ribeauville were surprisingly busy for that time of year. We had a lovely walk from Ribeauville to Honawihr and back. We stayed at the Clos Froehn in Zellenberg, a great choice. FWIW we did have a car.

Posted by
2499 posts

Since you haven’t shared what you are hoping to do and experience, I suggest you buy a guidebook to France. Rick Steves writes excellent ones that give great itineraries and travel tips. The France guidebook would be a good start. Go to the link on this page for “Shop Online”.

Posted by
6047 posts

I would watch the Rick Steves episodes related to France. There are a lot. You can get them on PBS online, Amazon Prime, this website and your local library. I'm a visual person and that has been a great way to get an idea of places I want to visit. November isn't probably ideal, but you'll be fine. The only place I'd suggest avoiding in November would be Brittney and perhaps Normandy.

Posted by
7428 posts

If you haven’t been to Paris, that would be the majority of the days. Some other good locations by train are Chartres & Rouen besides the usual ones. We thought our time in Normandy was important to see, but you might want to save that for a different season.

Posted by
3122 posts

Are you flying in and out of Paris? You could easily spend your entire 5 days in Paris and barely scratch the surface of things to see and do, especially since you'll start out jetlagged from a transatlantic flight.