Please sign in to post.

5-7 Days in Provence, May 2020

My husband and I are looking for one or two (or three?) charming towns to wind down a three-week European vacation in May 2020. Any good seaside options? Avignon? Arles? Luberon? We prefer small and quaint to big and touristy. We'll be traveling in from Spain, preferably by train. Thanks!

Posted by
144 posts

Avignon within the walls absolutely feels like a charming small town. I was just there April 11-15 and already miss its quiet ambiance.

Happiest travels!

Posted by
4132 posts

Hi Kerry,

Unless you mean the Riviera, Provence is not much of a beach place. You can visit Cassis or the Camargue and dip your toe in the Med, but it is actually pretty dry. There is river swimming.

You may chose to split your time between two locations, but the sights are close enough that you can base yourself in one location.

For a visit of that duration you will really want a car; with a car, pick a small town in the middle, geographically, of the sights you want to see. if yo do not know what those are yet, read some guidebooks until you do; then you will be able to decide where to stay.

But you practically can't go wrong.

Travel by train from Spain is smart and easy; pick up your car in Nimes or Avignon.