Please sign in to post.

4 days in Paris

Question for Paris experts - Any recommendations (besides the usual places) on what to see in Paris in December? I'm ok with gems that are off the beaten path. Staying in Montmartre area. Any hidden secret wonderful not to miss places? First time in Paris after loving on Italy. If it's open, I only I plan to visit Notre Dame but thats not guaranteed.

Posted by
2716 posts

Following this thread b/c I will be there in late November.

If this is your first time in Paris consider the night lights tour in a Citroen that the RS guidebook recommends -- the trees will be bare so the architecture and lighting stands out really well, especially if the holiday lights are up too.

One hiding-under-your-nose gem is the mobilier (furniture) wing of the Louvre -- even in the high season you can have some of the rooms to yourself, and Antiques Roadshow fans will swoon every ten feet.

One hidden secret would be Vietnamese art galleries. B/c of the French history in Indochine, there are fine collections of both classic and modern art, from pottery to photography.

Posted by
119 posts

Hi! OMG what a treat to be visiting Paris for the 1st time - and around Christmas!!! Divine.

For me, a must see would be the Sainte Chapelle in the 1st arrondissement: https://www.sainte-chapelle.fr/en

Sainte Chapelle is utterly glorious. It has one of the most extensive 13th-century stained glass collections anywhere in the world. Completely eye-popping.

Seeing the elaborate Christmas windows at Galeries Lafayette is also a treat: so fun to see the excited kids crowding around. Inside the store there’s an immense decorated Christmas tree suspended under the stained glass dome, which is amazing.

Every neighbourhood has its own lovely decorations, and the Christmas markets are a lot of fun.

Ice skating on the rink in front of l’Hotel de Ville is a blast. It is at Place de l'Hôtel de Ville, across the Seine from the Ile de la Cité and Notre Dame. There will be stands where you can get hot chocolate or perhaps even a vin chaud. :-)

You’re in for a wonderful time - happy travels!

Posted by
4811 posts

I have not used this book yet, but picked it up when a possible Paris trip came on my agenda:
The Little(r) Museums of Paris: An Illustrated Guide to the City's Hidden Gem
It looks like a neat guide!

Posted by
1143 posts

jjfdesigns,
First visit to Paris, please don't skip all of the iconic sights. Gawk at the Eiffel Tower, stop in Notre Dame. Walk along the Seine on the left bank and see ND from the back (classic view!). Check out the bouquinistes on that walk and maybe pick up a cool souvenier. Go to Ste. Chapelle (unparalleled) to admire the stained glass. Stand on the Pont Alexandre III and watch the boats on the Seine. Take a one hour cruise on a Vedettes de Pont Neuf boat to admire the city (narrated, inexpensive, sit on the top with a warm coat).
All typical tourist things, but must-dos and must-sees for a very good reason. They are magical, they are Paris!
Have a wonderful time!
p.s. Montmartre is a bit away from most of the classic sights, but offers a nice view of the city. It is very hilly. You will need to use the metro to get to most of the iconic areas. Since you are there, don't ignore the Basilica of Sacre Coeur. It is only about 120 years old, but has gorgeous mosaics inside. Ddefinitely worth a look.

Posted by
2660 posts

The basics of Paris take 3 to 4 full days, that´s 4 to 5 nights. If you have more time than that, there are lesser know visits but I rather doubt that there are many hidden secrets for tourists.

Posted by
638 posts

If you have time and like military history, Les Invalides with Napoleon's tomb and a museum of military history can fill a morning, maybe a whole day if you let it. It's near the Eiffel Tower.

Posted by
603 posts

I’m going to be honest, if it’s on a place like this, it’s not a secret place.

The best way to find a secret place just to wander around and get lost and then you’ll probably find someplace you love

Posted by
1 posts

Suggestions :
1). Try and book your Eiffel Tower visit so it coincides with sunset , Beautiful to see the whole city at

sunset , and view all the lights go on.
2). We also went on a Seine boat tour that started in late afternoon and ended as darkness fell, also
enjoying the lights come up , esp. on the Eiffel Tower .

Enjoy your travels - and hope you have many great adventures.