Please sign in to post.

360 Cinema at Arromanches

Yes or no? Man, the extended forecast is calling for rain the whole time we are there. Umbrellas and light raincoats for us.

Posted by
5 posts

We enjoyed the 360 cinema when we spent time in the region last summer. Plus it is indoors so could be nice break from rain.

Posted by
27096 posts

Rain forecast for every day doesn't mean it will rain constantly. If you're looking more than a few days out, what you're seeing is probably based to a considerable degree on historical weather patterns rather than near-certainty. Coastal weather is really changeable.

Posted by
166 posts

Here's hoping we have a few decent days while in Normandy and Paris.

Posted by
32735 posts

it is October. It rains there. Beware the wind too.

Posted by
117 posts

If it's raining, there are several top quality museums and visitors centers near the battlefields. I feel the Memorial in Caen is one of the best World War Two museums in Europe. You could easily spend a day there. The visitors center at the American cemetery is small but very evocative. And the Utah Beach museum is probably the best for covering the D-Day experience. With these top museums, I'd probably skip the 360 Cinema unless you have extra time to kill.

Posted by
1136 posts

I think the 360 Cinema is very well thought out, immersive, and gives you a good overview of a lot of the activities in the Battle of Normandy. It is also very sobering as I recall. Plus, the view from the hill it is located on gives you a great panoramic view of the remains of the artificial harbors in Arromanches—which are a must-see in this area (as is the museum by the beach). I haven't been in several years, but have visited Normandy 8–9 times, including a couple of years ago (2019, for the 75th anniversary of D-day. I intend to return in 2022). Another museum I highly recommend is the Utah Beach Museum. It is the best in the area IMHO, and one you might miss if you only depend on Rick Steves' recommendations.