Please sign in to post.

3 days in Provence?

If I had 3 days in Provence what should I do? I know its not enough time, but that's what I got. I'm thinking of mid-August. Interested in the ruins, lavendar (maybe too late in August???) and small towns... I'm not a drinker so I am not interested in wine tasting. We will be flying in and out of Paris. TIA :)

Posted by
7280 posts

Take the train to Avignon, rent a car, and head to the Luberon valley, east of Avignon. I love that city, but you may want to base yourself in a smaller town, say, Saint-Remy, which has the wonderful Roman ruins of Glanum just south of town, and medieval Les-Baux southwest of that.

Nimes, to the west of Avignon has a superb colosseum, and you can visit the Pont du Gard aqueduct on the way.

If you opt for staying farther south in Arles (or visiting for the day), Rick Steves' favorite small city in the region, the Archaeological Museum is a must-see!

The opera season at the ancient Roman Theater in Orange ends Aug 6, so you wouldn't be able to see a show there (worth it if you could!), but visiting Orange, north of Avignon, for the magnificent Theatre is still great.