Please sign in to post.

3 days in Paris

Going to be in Paris in beginning of June 2019, any must sees?

Posted by
5581 posts

A good place to start is the RS Paris guide and his tv shows. They are on this website, Amazon or typically your PBS station. It is pretty much a matter of personal taste, but RS always has a page in his guidebook that lists the popular "attractions" and then rates them with diamonds. I've found it to be a good start. He misses some things that I've enjoyed, though, too. I usually buy the Eyewitness guides for the countries I'm interested in. I don't think they are great with details for traveling, but I like the diagrams and photos. Usually, I will also look at Lonely Planet and maybe Fodor's or Frommers. I find planning to be almost as fun as going!

I think if you provide details, that helps people give you ideas. Do you like art (what time periods), music, wine, food, gardens, churches, etc.

Posted by
11179 posts

Excuse my ignorance, but why/how did you choose to go to Paris but have to ask your question?

I will echo previous suggestion to get a guide book and see what interests you.

Posted by
13937 posts

What kind of sights sound interesting to you? Museums? Churches? Doing walking tours thru neighborhoods?

Posted by
3 posts

I am going for the Women's World cup. We of want to see the Eiffel Tower but like to see architecture and get the feel of Paris. Good restaurants etc.

Posted by
2186 posts

Since you found the forum, scroll up the left side to “our tours”, select “France”, then “Best of Paris in 7 days” and then click on “ itinerary”. It will give you an idea of what Rick Steves thinks are must -sees. You will already be getting a fabulous experience being a part of the World Cup crowd.

Posted by
15582 posts

Go to the official site of the Paris Museum Pass. There are brief descriptions of the dozens of sights included and most link to their own sites. This will give you an idea of what to expect and whether it might interest you.

The best of Paris (my favorite city in the world) is simply being there. Long walks in different areas, parking at a sidewalk cafe or park bench and people-watching, strolling the boulevards, a sunset 1-hour cruise on the Seine (Les Vedettes du Pont Neuf). Avoid the Champ Elysees - the only place that isn't pleasant. Paris Walks offers a variety of good walking tours. Paris after dark is magical, sadly in June it doesn't get dark until after 10 pm.

Posted by
8293 posts

If architecture is one of your interests, Paris is your cup of tea. Notre Dame Basilica, the Grand Palais, Chateau Malmaison, Musee d'Orsay which was once a railway station, the Louvre originally a royal palace, plus hundreds of other magnificent buildings which will be in the guide book which you MUST buy. There are no must sees, only "want to sees". A ride on the No.69 bus would be a good way to sight see and rest at the same time.

Posted by
18 posts

Totter22,

On top what was already suggested - regarding architecture hotspots, here are some more modern buildings worth seeing : Centre Pompidou, Fondation Louis Vuitton, Forum des Halles, Quai Branly Museum or the Cité de la Mode & Design.

V.

Posted by
1369 posts

I know you said you want to see the Eiffel Tower. If you wish to go up it, you have a few options. One, stand in line the day of & get tickets. You can purchase tickets to walk up to the first level if not interested in going to the top. The other option is booking online, tickets currently are available 2 months out, not sure if it will change as we get closer to summer. Previous years tickets were available 90 days out. They can sell out fast. https://www.toureiffel.paris/en

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
13937 posts

If you are interested in Art Nouveau architecture here's a link from a blog that has the addresses of a number of buildings designed by Jules Lavirotte. They are so cool!

https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/2011/03/art-nouveau-7th-arrondissement/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Lavirotte

Here is a link to another blogger who does walking tours and starts this one at these buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAY8vsAbpFs

This location is just a couple of blocks from the Eiffel Tower so you can walk by before or after your ET visit.