Please sign in to post.

2nd Trip to Paris in Late September 2018

My husband and I will be returning for 2-3 nights in Paris in late September 2018, as part of a 7-8 night tour of Normandy/Loire then Paris. We will be with a group of 4 other couples, some of whom have not been to Paris. Our first visit was for four nights in 2009 for our 25th anniversary. At that time, we toured the Louvre for a couple of hours, walked under the Eiffel Tower, strolled the Ile de Cite and Ile de St. Louis, took a Seine Bateau, visited some of the smaller museums, toured different neighborhoods on foot and enjoyed many sidewalk cafes. This time around I would like to stroll the Promenade Plantee, the elevated former railway turned garden that Manhattan's Highline is modeled after. From my readings of posts through the last several months, I have never seen this mentioned. Has anyone taken the time to experience the promenade, and do you think it is worth doing for those who are in Paris for their first time? Thanks!

Posted by
776 posts

To enjoy the Promenade, one doesn't have to go all the way to the end. Start above ground level near the Bastille, go the distance you like and then turn around and come back at street level to look at the Viaduc des Arts. Late September would still have roses in bloom, dahlias, lots of greenery and wonderful views over Paris. Whether or not first time visitors would like this, I can't say. I've walked it many times and have especially enjoyed the cool of the below ground level sections in Paris' hot summers. The elevated part goes to the Jardin de Reuilly.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/07/paris-promenade-plantee-free-elevated-park-walkway-bastille-bois-de-vincennes

Posted by
11056 posts

Are you planning to spend all your daytime together as a group in Paris? We have traveled with friends and we both did our own daytime planning and met for dinner at night. In tne countryside, we stayed together, one rental car.

Posted by
5697 posts

Will you be in Paris during the Journee de Patrimoine ? One weekend in September when many European cities celebrate their heritage by opening buildings to the public -- we walked through the French Senate, usually closed to visitors. And free!

Posted by
6431 posts

We spent a couple of hours walking the Promenade Plantee from near Bastille Opera out to the east, and enjoyed it a lot. It was our second Paris visit as I recall. I wouldn't put it on a "must see" list for a 2-3 night first visit, but surely the ten of you won't be joined at the hips and you can explore new places while your friends explore places you've seen before.

Another second-visit favorite of ours was the Marmottan Museum, full of Monets and other impressionists, at the west end of the Passy neighborhood, about as far from the Promenade Plantee as you can get in central Paris.

Posted by
4025 posts

The promenade is interesting at street level, too. The old arches were converted into ateliers for artists and craftsmen, nice to window-shop even if you don't step inside. I suspect the rents must be subsidized, since I saw one shop devoted to the esoteric craft of music stands.

Posted by
12172 posts

I stayed near Gare de Lyon in mid September this year. The Premenade was close so we walked some of it. It's nice but I'm not sure it's in my top places to visit. Most of the walk is narrow with plants taking up much of the space, there are some places to sit but it's not really geared for sitting and people watching like most French parks. I didn't see any police presence and entry/exits were few which was somewhat unnerving. I'm glad I had a chance to visit but wouldn't go out of my way to return and can't really recommend it over other Paris sights. I would only go if it's not out of the way and then only plan a short (maybe 15-30 minutes) walk.

Posted by
11294 posts

My impression of the Promenade Plantée was similar to Brad's - "meh." I also wouldn't go out of my way to see it, or allot much time for it. Strolling actual Paris streets is much more interesting.