My wife and I are planning a 2-week trip to France for our honeymoon in mid-September. We get into Nice on a Tuesday morning, and leave from Paris 15 days later. We modeled our trip off the RS driving tour of France, and are open to any thoughts/suggestions you may have about how many days to spend in certain places, whether we're missing anything important, any any and all hotels, restaurants, or sights.
We are planning on renting a car when we leave Provence (Avignon or Arles) and dropping it off when we leave Versailles a week later (see schedule below). Our most pressing questions at this point are:
- Should we stay in Avignon or Arles for our time in Provence? And should we spend more time in that area (see schedule below)? Having trouble figuring out when we should head to Dordogne.
- I've been reading about how to do the drive from Avignon/Arles to Sarlat (which we're really excited for), and I don't think we're particularly interested in staying in Carcassonne. Thus, we're contemplating finding another place to stay to break up the drive to Sarlat- maybe in Albi, Lot River Valley, or Rocamadour, or something like that - OR just making the 5-hour drive to Sarlat in one trip.
- Any suggestions on places to stay other than Amboise in the Loire Valley?
- Is starting the day in Bayeux/Caen and then driving to Giverny and Versailles in one day crazy?
Here's our schedule:
- Tuesday @ 10:30 a.m. - Arrive in Nice (sleep Nice)
- Wednesday - Nice Area (sleep Nice) - Explore Monaco, Villefranche-sur-Mer, Antibes
- Thursday - Nice Area in Morning, 3 hr TGV afternoon/evening to Avignon - sleep Avignon/Arles
- Friday - Explore Avignon/Arles- maybe half-day wine tour? (sleep Avignon/Arles)
- Saturday - Provence (Avignon) - either pick up car mid-day and drive to Sarlat/Albi/Rocamadour/ St. Cirq Lapopie/ Gramat/ or somewhere else? OR stay the rest of the day in Avignon/Arles area. Undecided.
- Sunday - Either (1) drive to Sarlat, if didn't do that the day before, OR (2) spend day in Dordogne/Sarlat (sleep Sarlat)
- Monday - Dordogne (sleep Sarlat)
- Tuesday - Dordogne in morning, then Drive to Loire Valley/Amboise (or another city in Loire Valley?) (sleep Amboise)
- Wednesday - Loire Valley/Amboise (sleep Amboise)
- Thursday- arrive Mont St. Michel in morning (3+ hrs from Amboise) (sleep Mont St. Michel)
- Friday 9/21 - drive to Normandy for D-Day Beach Tour (1.5 hrs from Mont St. Michel) (sleep Bayeux)
- Saturday - Drive to Giverny, explore, then drive to Versailles and tour. Drop off Car after Versailles in early evening, take train into Paris! (sleep Paris)
- Sunday - Paris (sleep Paris)
- Monday - Paris (sleep Paris)
- Tuesday - Paris (sleep Paris)
- Wednesday - Fly out of Paris midday
Thank you all so much in advance for your feedback!