Please sign in to post.

16 Days in October 2017

Hi all,
We are planning a trip starting and ending in Lyon. Our plan (so far) is to pick up the rental car and make the first leg of the trip to the Piemont region of Italy (3-5) days. From there we plan to circle down to the Aix-en-Provence region and Arles and maybe Avignon (6-7 days) and from head back toward Lyon, where we will stay for two days before the flight home.

Our flight lands in Lyon on Sunday afternoon. We want to postpone Lyon until the end of the trip. I wonder if anyone can suggest: a nice destination for our first (and maybe second) night in the country.... heading in the direction of Turin but not too far from Lyon?

Any other suggestion about our plan, which is obviously still evolving would be appreciated as well. We cannot modify our reservation to fly into or out of a different city, unfortunately, but I am confident that we can make the most of what we have to work with. My husband is very set on visiting Italy, and this may put us into the "biting off more than we can chew" category somewhat.
We've upgraded to an automatic transmission automobile. The trip is going to take place during the first half of October, so I don't think weather should be a significant factor, but please advise me if I am off base.
Thanks,
Shelley

Posted by
2916 posts

We're flying in and out of Lyon in April, and are planning to spend the last night in Cremieu, a small town less than 1/2 hour from the airport and in the general direction of Turin. We haven't been there, but we've been in the area. For the first night we're driving from the airport to Neuville-sur-Ain, about a 45 minute drive, but less direct than Cremieu if you're heading towards Turin.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks, Robert. I'd love to hear about your trip when you return.