Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets in France

Rick had listed in his book... Strasbourg and Colmer. I also see that Lille, France and (in Belgium) Brussels are also highly ranked from the readers poll of "Best Christmas Markets in Europe." We are staying in Paris for 8 days in late November. Do you have a recommendation on any of these four locations. Lille and Brussels appear to be easier to get to.

Posted by
16894 posts

Lille, Brussels, and Strasbourg are big cities; Colmar is smaller and arguably cuter, and one of our favorite towns to visit any time. TGV to Colmar takes longer (3 hours) but is still direct. From Brussels, you might also have time to add Bruges. For any of those destinations, advance discount rates may still be available to reserve before you go.

Posted by
23337 posts

We were in Strasbourg a couple of years. The Christmas market is terrific and by far the best that we saw through out Germany. I believe the Strasbourg market claims to the oldest in Europe dating back to the 14th century. Don't know when it opens as we were there over Christmas. Some markets are not in full swing until early Dec.

Posted by
335 posts

Since you'll be in Paris anyway, you could also check out the Marche Noel along the Champs Elysees (from Mo. Concorde and continuing up the Avenue toward (but not as far as) the Arc de Triomphe. I believe it begins November 14. I also understand the giant Ferris Wheel will be erected at the Place de la Concorde and there will be another Marche Noel at the Place St. Germain beginning on Nov. 15. This will be my first time in Paris at the start of the holidays and I'm looking forward to these Marches and also the Xmas decor in the large department stores!

Posted by
1337 posts

Tours, France also has a lovely Christmas market right outside of la Fare SNCF.

Posted by
10234 posts

It's best to stick to the traditional markets. It's become big business, corporations that build and rent out the little huts. Renters pay rent for these huts, so you're going to find the most "made in China" stuff in the high rent areas in order for the vendors to make a profit, such as the Champs Elysee. (Sorry Holly). Go to the small markets or Strasbourg, Colmar, where the markets are traditional, as suggested. I already suspected what was going on because these markets in Paris are a new phenomena, not traditional at all, and the French 2 TV news at 8 pm had an expose on the markets this past Monday night.