Please sign in to post.

Staying in Normandy

We would like to stay near the D-Day beaches in Normandy for a week this summer, either in a rental cottage or B & B. Does anyone have advice on finding a rental or B & B? Can these arrangements be made through an agent who would assure the reliability of the renter?

Posted by
784 posts

I have had good luck with both Homeaway.com and vrbo.com when renting vacation homes in France. You should also google "gites in France" as there are some websites for those. Also Google "B&Bs in France". Read the reviews and carefully look at the pictures, paying special attention to the furnishings and anything that jumps out at you. If you are concerned about not speaking French, there are a surprising number of vacation rentals in France that are owned by the British. You can filter your search accordimg to your requirements. I suggest you get a good detailed map of Normandy and use it to help you decide where you might like to be - somewhere central to what you plan to do. I would look at places somewhere between Honfleur and Bayeux. A cottage for a week would be my choice over a B&B. Good luck.

Posted by
1980 posts

For an B&B you can have a look at www.gites-de-france-calvados.fr and/or ask Gîtes de France Calvados to send the little guide “Les guides départementaux 2014/2015” of Chambres & tables d’hôtes Calvados with over 300 addresses. Contact address see website or E-mail: info@gites-de-france-calvados.fr

The organization is a branche of the well-known national Gîtes de France, guaranteeing a certain level of quality.

Calvados is the region in Normandy where the D-Day beaches, Honfleur, Caen and Bayeux belongs to.