Please sign in to post.

First time in Paris

Good Morning,
We are traveling to Paris for 5 days/nights. We are renting an apartment in Neuilly sur Seine and plan on using the Metro to go to Paris to see the sights. A few questions...
...is the Paris Pass a good value? (3 adults) We do want to see the main sights, but probably would rather be out and about the city than to go to many museums. Am also interested in a river cruise on the Seine)
...is the Metro safe?..how expensive?
....besides the main attractions, what other sights do you recommend?
...is it better to take a taxi from airport or ok to use public transportation?
Thanks so much for your help!!
Nancy

Posted by
8889 posts

The Métro is as safe as any other crowded public area in a big city. The chief danger is pickpockets.
The Métro cost €1.70 for a single ticket, but there are reductions for buying multiple tickets (a "carnet") or multi-day passes. See: http://ratp.fr/

Other attractions - too many to list here. Just get a good guide book.

A taxi from the airport is wasting money unless you have a lot of luggage which you can't carry. The easiest option is to get the RER train into Paris, and change onto the Métro. Maps, prices etc. at http://ratp.fr/
You need to find which is the nearest Métro station to your apartment in Neuilly-sur-Seine, if you don't know already.

Posted by
359 posts

IMO Paris has one of the greatest metro systems in the world. Safe, just be conscious of your bag, goes everywhere, and pretty cheap.

Posted by
20090 posts

Another transport option is to take the "Roissy" bus to Porte de Maillot, which is right on the border with Neuilly sur Seine. If your apartment is close to one of the two NsS Metro stations, you could travel by Metro, or catch a relatively inexpensive cab ride there, or it may even be walking distance from Porte de Maillot.

The Paris Pass is a terrible deal. If you want to visit some of the big museums (Louvre, Orsay, Versailles), the Museum Pass can be a good deal. The Paris Visite is a so-so deal, offering 5 days of transport on the Metro and buses with a handful of discounts for Seine cruises and HOHO buses. The Paris Pass bundles those two items, adds a bunch of discounts for things you either don't care to see or don't have time to see, and marks the package up about 50%. Buy separately and you will save.

Posted by
4 posts

We bought the Museum Pass so we wouldn't have to stand in line. My husbands back really bothers him standing. We also got the on off bus pass for the same reason. Metro is great but buses are the best because you can see people, street life, traffic is interesting, you know life!!

Posted by
219 posts

We were there a few weeks ago and used the Metro and RER to go everywhere. No problems even with luggage. It was 9,75€ on the RER from the city to CDG(and vice versa). It was very easy and not very many people(Thurs afternoon).
If you buy a carnet of 10 Metro tickets its 13,70€ so 1,37€ a ride, so you'll save some $$ versus buying single tickets.
We did a dinner cruise in 2011. It was very nice. We ate while cruising by all the sights at sunset:)

Posted by
4684 posts

It is also possible to get a "Navigo Decouverte" weekly ticket for 20.40 euros, but that ONLY covers a Mon-Sun calendar week, not any consecutive seven days. It is still worth buying if you are arriving early in the week.

Posted by
74 posts

With three adults, a taxi is a very reasonable alternative way of getting from the airport. Write down the name and address of where you want to go and show it to the driver.

I'd advise you to get a carnet of metro tickets. I have never had a bad, or even close to bad, experience on Metro or RER, but I have heard you must be very careful if taking the RER from the airport.

Posted by
482 posts

We spent a week in Paris in August (2 adults, 2 children) and found the Metro safe, clean and a real treat for the kids. If you're not from a big city, read up online re: safety tips (pickpockets, scams) and be on the alert. We never felt threatened, never had anything stolen. The Metro isn't terribly expensive, nor is it cheap. Just convenient. Read tips on this website for how to get around. Station maps and in-car maps make it easy to navigate. We didn't use busses but I'd consider them a nice alternative.

Paris Pass is nice if you have even the slightest interest in museums (since it's pre-paid, you don't feel like you have to "get your money's worth" if you go to a museum). Rick has stopped mentioning this, but it's also a great way to find free bathrooms all over Paris. Read this site and others to find non-museum places of interest that suit your tastes. Paris is a fabulous city. Monuments, cemeteries, parks, shopping, street markets, etc.

We enjoyed the RS Marais walk, the Notre Dame tower and the catacombs (get there early because the line can be a killer). A day trip to Versailles is worthwhile and I'd recommend splurging to see the evening displays in the gardens.

I hope you have a great trip.

Posted by
11507 posts

Bob a Paris Pass is not the same as a Paris Museum pass.

A museum pass can be worthwhile, for all the reasons you mention, but the Paris pass is not a pass at all but a collection of cariuos vouchers and a museum pass bit sold at an inflated price.

Posted by
13942 posts

I will add a vote for a taxi from the airport. The distances you have to walk to transfer from RER to Metro may be long, there may be stairs and sometimes the directional signs are a bit confusing if you've not done it before. It's your first time to Paris, you may be a little punchy from jet lag and the taxi will take you to your door.

Recently a friend and I took the RER out to CDG to pick up a friend who didn't think she could manage on her own. My friend goes to Paris every year, it was my first trip since, uh, 1976 or so, lol. We both felt the distances we had to walk were fine without luggage but would be a PIA with luggage. We also did not feel terribly comfortable in the RER which at mid-morning was pretty deserted heading out to the airport. It may be more crowded coming back in.

Taxi fare is now part of my budget.

I loved riding the Metro, but you do need to be wary. I was with a RS group getting on a crowded Metro car in mid-Sept. We were all pushed onto the car (distraction) and as we came into the next station, still talking about being jostled, one of our group found a man's hand in his pocket. The pickpocket was dressed in a suit and tie and we belatedly realized he was the instigator of the pushing. The tour member did not have anything in his pocket to get and the man hopped off at the next station. In spite of this I was comfortable as a 65-yr-old solo traveler taking the Metro in the evening.

Posted by
104 posts

looks like all your questions where addressed above except....you could consider pre-booking a shuttle. Depending on your destination it can be cheaper than a taxi (but not cheaper than the RER and Metro typically).

I always use the Metro / RER when in Paris and I never feel threatened or nervous. I am from a city though and used to using public transport. When there is a crush of people, I move away from it if I can. If I can not get away, I make sure my bags are in front of me and hooked to my body in someway, (my zippers are always secured with locks or safety pins) then I say in French STOP PUSHING (Arrêtez de pousser!) then in English I say really loudly (so everyone in the car can hear no matter their native language)..."someone is pushing, it is likely a pickpocket check your pockets now and watch your stuff!" I have successfully caught out pickpockets who quickly got off at the next stop (I also got lots of thanks in many languages for having the courage to yell it out there.) Be calm, use your mean face, lock your zippers and watch your bags... you will be FINE! :)

Posted by
41 posts

All advice is valid, but I would add one BIG caveat on using the Metro/RER: everything depends on the amount of luggage you are humping! If you are backpacking, by all means go RER/Metro. If you are dragging a wheeler, think twice! All Metro stations have stairs up to the surface, and some of those stairs are almost Himalayan in their challenge! There are some elevators, supposedly, but I have never seen them. We took the RER one time from CDG to Luxembourg but the other riders on the first few stops were sort of disreputable in appearance and behavior so from that time on, we took taxis. More expensive, but more pleasant and reassuring. Also, with a bum knee, it is much easier for me to use the buses, again because of the long walks and endless stairs in most Metro stations.

Posted by
46 posts

The metro is awesome, but with luggage coming from the airport, it's a hassle. I personally hire a car and driver (about $50 for up to 6 people, from CDG to pretty much every place located within Paris). They meet you as soon as you pass Immigration, and it's hassle free.

No to the Paris Pass. Yes to the Museum Pass if you plan on seeing at least 3. You buy it by the number of days you plan on hitting the museums. Plus, the Museum Pass bumps you ahead of the lines to buy the tickets at the Louvre and at Versailles - which can you save you an hour!

Metro is safe, VERY inexpensive. Just keep your purse IN FRONT OF YOU and not behind. No backpacks on the Metro, in my opinion.

Attractions? Depends on your interests - whatever you really enjoy, there are tons of options to see your "likes" in Paris. No idea? Use Rick Steves' ideas for what to see.

River cruises are definitely worth doing, but if you are going in winter, get one that is enclosed - otherwise, you'll freeze your ass off.

Have fun!

Posted by
8293 posts

Since this is your first trip to Paris, the website tomsguidetoparis.com will be helpful. Also.parisbytrain.com.

Posted by
148 posts

I purchased a 7-day Paris Pass last year and it included the Museum Pass and a Metro Pass (also for 7 days). It also included the HOHO Les Cars Rouge as well as a Seine cruise. I felt it was a good value. There are many other sites and monument included...not just 'museums'....

We sure got our money's worth!

Posted by
1369 posts

I just spent 6 nights in Paris (12-18 Oct) and used the Metro & RER everywhere. I purchased a 5-day pass w/all 5 zones. I had imagined the Metro to be something like a New York Subway, but felt safe on it. It can get busy at certain parts of the day and with certain lines due to people going and returning from work. I did not witness or have any issues with pickpockets. I had buttoned pockets on the shirts I wore so that is where I kept my ID's & large sums of cash, kept my cell phone and some Euros in my front pant pockets and had no issues. The Metro seemed to be faster than the RER lines, even with more stops. Each station has maps on the walls as to which direction the line is heading, you just need to find your stop on the map and head to the platform that it will arrive on, fairly easy to navigate.
I used the RER-B from CDG to Saint-Michel stop, w/in walking distance to my hotel and had no issues. I did how ever take a shuttle to the airport when I departed, since it was at 4:00 a.m.

Posted by
11507 posts

Cindy the math has been done many times. The pass has never shown its value except as a convenience. If convenience is main priority then the cost is immaterial.

The Museum pass of course includes monuments. The museum pass you received is the actual Museum Pass , the same one that is purchased separately.

Posted by
11294 posts

To clarify: there is a Paris Pass, a Paris Visite Pass, and a Paris Museum Pass. They are three different things, and yes, it is confusing.

The Paris Museum Pass can be a good deal. The Paris Visite and the Paris Pass are not a good deal for most visitors. For any pass, you have to do the math.

Posted by
32 posts

The best advice given to me before my first trip to Paris in 1989 was, "Don't try to see everything on this trip; remember that you will be back" and Yes! I was there in October this yr for the 5th time. Sitting in a street cafe and savoring the moment and people watching is worth the time. Enjoy and know that you will be back.

Posted by
87 posts

Great tip, Adrianne. I've been to Paris a lot, not that this means I know much. But...

The Museum Pass is a good deal if you want to visit many museums. And you skip the lines. If you only plan to hiy one or two museums, skip the pass.

The Metro is great. Ask the ticket agent for a carnet (CAR-NAY), which is 10 tickets. Less expensive and believe me, you'll use them. The Metro's as safe as any other major commuter system. Be sure to keep your money, etc. in a safe place like a zippered pocket inside your jacket or shirt. Never in your pants pockets. Buses can be more prone to pickpockets, depending on the route. I've not ridden them in Paris.

I definitely would not take the RER from the airport into town. Not because it's dangerous, but it's likely to be extremely crowded in the morning. The main reason, though, is you're going to be pretty darned jet lagged and navigating an RER trip is more than you want to do when you're exhausted.

The Roissy bus is very good and convenient. Equally or more so is the Air France bus into town. Not hard to find, most Air France staff will be able to point out where it stops.

Be sure to wear a pair of broken-in, comfortable walking shoes and drink plenty of water. Don't go to bed after you arrive during the daytime or you'll never adjust to the time. Take it easy the first day, explore your neighborhood, get a bite to eat (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g196581-Neuilly_sur_Seine_Hauts_de_Seine_Ile_de_France.html) and go to bed in the early evening.