Please sign in to post.

Cherbourg - what a surprise!

In our recent trip to Europe, we had to stay in Cherbourg because we were going to take the ferry from here to Portsmouth, England. Cherbourg isn't mentioned at all in RS book on France so I checked Fodor. I found a hotel in Fodor so we reserved a room in that hotel (hotel was pretty good with great breakfast of 8.90 euros).

Cherbourg was a surprise. I think it merits a page in the RS book. There is this huge exposition or exhibition called La Cité de la Mer by the harbor that consisted of a) a Titanic simulation, b) the submarine Le Redoubtable which was open to the public, c) voyage to the bottom of the sea a la Disney, d) an aquarium (the deepest in Europe) that showed interesting marine life. Entrance was something like 9 euros pp.

We thought we would just while away our time in Cherbourg. It turns out that it was such an interesting stay. And, by the way, we chanced upon the store where Les Parapluies des Cherbourg (the Umbrellas of Cherbourg) starring Catherine Deneuve was filmed. That was exciting for me.

As I said, Cherbourg merits a page in the RS book. Thanks.

Olivia
PS I posted this under Trip Reports but no one from RS's office seemed to have read it, so I posted it here. thanks.

Posted by
11613 posts

Olivia, thanks for posting.

If RS doesn't really, really like a place, it won't appear in his books. This forum is fortunately filled with good info on places he doesn't mention. His book style is to give very detailed information, including museum/site guides, to a degree that other guidebook writers don't, so it's a question of allocating space, I guess.

Posted by
9420 posts

On the flip side, we spent 24 hrs in Cherbourg and did not care for it. We're all different, but with all the charming places to see in France, Cherbourg would not be on my list. We found it to be a dismal port city.