Please sign in to post.

Rental cars in France

We will be traveling from Toulouse, and Carcassone and then St. Meries de la Mer. What car rental insurance is the most important to get ? Someone answered this but I can't find it. Thanks, Nancy

Posted by
3179 posts

You might want to check with AutoEurope.com a consolidator in Portland, Maine. I've found their rates and service to be excellent. Insurance is available through them, however since the credit cards I use cover CDI, I've never opted for the extra expense. And I have customized rental vehicles in France and Italy. Check with your credit card issuers as to the coverage that is included but be mindful that all rental charges must be made on the same card.

I've driven from Arles through the Camargue to the Rick back door village of Cucugnan (great experience!) then to Carcasonne and Albi where I also drove his recommended route through the bastide towns.

Happy motoring!

Posted by
2261 posts

We just rented from Europcar via Auto Europe and were very pleased. Everything went exactly as expected and Europcar staff were great.
We had a pleasant surprise when we arrived for pickup, they were out of the VW Polo we planned on and they free upgraded us to the BMW 318 d M Sport...they twisted my arm, I took it. That was fun.

Posted by
9110 posts

Europcar has been getting my business for the last few years if their price is anywhere close to the competition. If they're not, the cheapest guy wins and I've never had a pattern of complaints with any of them.

AE might get the nod if they're way the heck lower than anybody else, but I hold my breath.

Posted by
1021 posts

Sixt has always had the best deals when we've visited France. I'm not positive but I don't think autoeurope deals with Sixt. Learn about American Express Premium Ins which costs $25 per rental for first dollar coverage.

Posted by
396 posts

For our trip to France in May, I saved money over what the rental company would have charged by adding car rental insurance to my trip insurance. The travel insurance was surprisingly inexpensive when compared to the overall cost of the trip. I don't usually buy trip insurance, but having decided already to get it, adding on the rental car coverage wasn't much additional.

Posted by
1633 posts

I use Travel Insured for my rental car insurance. I used to always just use the gold credit card for rental car insurance, however, I want to be fully covered. I want to make sure I have "loss of use", theft and tire/undercarriage coverage. I believe the rental car company, Gemut, goes into details about these coverages. It really doesn't cost me much more--about $97 just for the rental car and at my age. The older you are the more expensive it is.

I also use AutoEurope for my rentals and religiously rent from Europcar. They will not charge for the additional driver if you are related and they don't try and rip you off because the car needs to be vacuumed.

I just finished visiting Toulouse and Carcassone. Have a great time. They are wonderful cities with lots to see.

Posted by
4439 posts

I agree that getting insurance elsewhere is a good idea, as in AmEx, but be prepared for the hard sell at the rental office, horror stories about what could/will happen, and attempts to put large holds on your credit card since the "insurance" isn't coming from them and they will try to deny it.

If you use a credit card with coverage, be aware that it's usually full of exemptions and exclusions and they will likely try to drag your auto insurance policy into the picture before paying.

Posted by
1021 posts

Amex is first dollar coverage. To my knowledge US auto policies don't offer coverage abroad.

Posted by
9110 posts

Phred's statement concerning the involvement of domestic companies is incorrect.