Please sign in to post.

PIN numbers

I was on my Bank of America account website to put in a travel notification, while reading around it said make sure your PIN numbers don't start with zero in Europe. Both cards I use in Europe have zero as the first number, never had a problem. Did something change? Should I worry now? Leaving in 10 days!

Posted by
219 posts

Thanks. For some reason I thought I had to change the PINs by mail as I did with my BofA card. I will change them to be safe.
I was talking to the rep from TDBank, he said he's never heard of not being able to have a zero but better safe than sorry.

Posted by
797 posts

One thing I would add is if you have a credit or ATM card with any other bank, take it with you as a backup. A couple years ago when my wife notified Bank of America that we were going overseas they managed to fail to record the notification on her ATM card. The only way she could get her card to work again was to personally go to our local branch after we returned and get it straightened out there. When she tried on the phone a supervisor said she was an unreasonable customer and she should be happy with how well their security system had protected her. Fortunately I do not bank at Bank of America and our trip went off with minor inconvenience. Had she been traveling alone, it would have been another story.

Posted by
5697 posts

Yes, when I set up a PIN for Capital One on 2012 they warned about leading zeros. But my Schwab ATM has worked fine for several trips abroad with an initial zero.

EDIT : @ Adam, actually I DO have a B of A ATM card, but I use different PIN numbers for security purposes, and that card does not have a leading zero.

Posted by
9110 posts

Another myth.

Numberals are numerals.

just CHANGE your PIN
Empty advice.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by
8293 posts

My PIN starts with a zero. I have used it all over Europe without a problem, for years. This myth surfaces every once in a while on these boards for some strange reason.

Posted by
9110 posts

Dearest Adam,

So many of us have leading zero pins, from so many banks, and the myth comes up so often, and nobody's ever come up with written confirmation that that a front zero won't work....

....please share any contraindicating factual scoop rather than obfuscating the issue which has had three responses of personal experience indicating that leading zeros are acceptable.

Posted by
7010 posts

"Did something change? Should I worry now? Leaving in 10 days!"

Susan, don't worry, nothing has changed. I was in 6 countries in Europe in July and all three of my cards worked fine - three different issuing banks and all three PINs have leading zeros.

Edit: I checked the B of A website regarding card PINs and the only caution is it must be 4 digits, absolutely nothing is said about not having a zero as first digit.

Posted by
9110 posts

Susan:

Let's apply some logic to the facts:

. ATM cards are serviced by one of two networks with which a bank enters into an agreement to service it's cards. The bank's only connection with the card is to put its logo on it and tie it to your account. (When a bank potentially denies your use of the card -- as cautioned above -- it does not block the card, rather, it denies the card's access to your account. )

. You won't find, in writing, a statement that you can have a leading zero no more than you can find a written statement that you can use a leading four, nine, or anything else. If your concern were true, you'd find a cautionary statement of what you cannot do -- this does not exist, and it would be common knowledge if it did.

You've been mislead by a well-meaning but misinformed person. The question has come up repeatedly in these forums -- responses that a leading zero is acceptable have never been proven wrong. And remember, all of us push our cards through the same networks, so the bank logo is not germane.

Posted by
219 posts

This is what I read on their website.
6. Prepare your PIN.
Some international ATMs support only 4-digit PINs. Be sure your PIN does not start with a zero, and know your PIN by the numbers, as some ATMs outside the United States do not have letters on the keypads. To change your PIN prior to traveling, select “More Options”, select “Change PIN” and follow the screen prompts at a Bank of America ATM.

I will change them to be safe and for piece of mind but I'm sure they would be fine anyway. I've used my zero PINs in France and Italy with no issues in the past.

Posted by
787 posts

My PIN number starts with zero. I have not had any problems withdrawing cash from an ATM in Europe since I started traveling there in 2007. It's simply a myth.

Posted by
9363 posts

I carry ATM/debit cards from two different financial institutions. The PINs for both have leading zeros. I have used them both in Europe and Costa Rica with no problem about a dozen times since 2001 (as recently as a few months ago).

Posted by
8293 posts

Oh, dear, more anecdotal evidence to make Adam cross.

Posted by
8293 posts

I've never had any of the problems under discussion here actually, and I have never read my bank's website. Lucky ol' me.

Posted by
219 posts

I didn't mean to start any issues here. I happened to read it on their website while putting in my travel notification and thought it odd since I've used both my cards with 0 starting PINs in European ATM's. The last 4 of my SS# just happen to start with 0, it has 4 numbers and easy to remember so I use it. Just wanted to see if anyone has had a problem. I changed my BofA debit card PIN just in case, the BofA credit card(PIN has to be changed by mail), I just hope I can remember that PIN if I need it. It is supposed to be a Chip/PIN card, I asked specifically for one for the train ticket machines in France, the other debit card I left alone.
Thank you for the help:)

To Irv, thanks for the advice on bringing along another card. I usually do that but haven't yet. I will do that now:)
I tried to buy train tickets from Paris to Lille before I had put in the travel note last week, the transaction was denied a few times before it dawned on me that, Duh! Its foreign transaction. I put in the travel note and purchased the tickets.

Posted by
9110 posts

'OMG. This is surreal.'

So was Return of the Phantom ???

Posted by
8572 posts

"Welcome to Fight Club. First rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club! Third rule of Fight Club: Someone yells stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over."

My apologies Susan.